Are mobile banking apps secure?
RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) -- A recent experience with a credit card app has a Wake County man questioning if his account information is secure when using his cell phone.
You can access these mobile banking apps on your smart phone and tablet. Justin Frechette wanted to check his Capital One credit card account, but instead he was able to see someone else's activity.
"Logged in made sure the payment I recently made posted to the account and that the account balance was zero," Justin said.
But he didn't see a zero balance. Instead, lots of charges that didn't belong to him.
"At first I thought they were transactions on my card that somebody had used my credit card number. As I scrolled down and didn't see any of my transactions, had the idea that I was actually looking at someone else's' account," he said.
Justin called Capital One.
"She confirmed she had seen other transactions in her account when she logged into her account that day and assured me no one could do anything with the information but it was okay, no need to worry," Frechette said.
But he said he was worried, as he wanted to know who could see his account.
"In my opinion, that is personal identifiable information that I should only see not anyone else," Justin said.
I reached out to Capital One and a rep said this was a brief, one-time event and at no time was any customer or account information exposed. She added the information that was displayed was limited transaction info, date, time, and merchant. No name or account numbers were displayed. This was reassuring news to Justin, but he was still on guard.
"Be careful make sure you're checking your statements, you're checking your online app that the transactions are yours," Justin said.
And it's always important to check your statements. If you ever notice a problem like Justin did, call right away to alert the company.
troubleshooter, diane wilson
- Video shows encounter that led to inmate's death
- Snowball fight could lead to criminal charges
- Airline's sweet surprise for passengers
- One day left to help hungry families through the holidays
- Bipartisan negotiators reach modest budget pact 2 min ago
- Car crashes on Glenwood Avenue during chase 13 min ago
- Walmart, AIG say they plan nearly 700 NC jobs 8 min ago
- Groups shun NC critics, appeal Bonner Bridge case 8 min ago
- Duke Chapel holds Mandela memorial
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
- Senate OKs Obama pick Watt for housing regulator
- Whistleblower in athletics scandal speaks to UNC committee
- Second arrest made in Durham double shooting
- Modest Eastern snowstorm brings closures, delays
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help