Cumberland County family waits for new fence
WADE, N.C. (WTVD) -- A Cumberland County Army wife was excited to get a new fence in her backyard for her and her family.
"It's going to go about halfway down our property. It's mainly just to fence in an area so that way the kids and the dog can be safe," Sara Sheets said.
In March, Sheets paid Blue Water Fence in Fayetteville $3,000 to get the project started.
"He said it would take about two weeks to get the materials, and then he'd be able to start it after," she said.
Two weeks turned into more than a month, and Sheets still didn't have a fence.
"I was trying to keep in touch with him, constantly. It was just stories from then on out," Sheets said.
Sheets even shared text messages from Blue Water Fence's owner Steve Mann that said the materials were paid for and ready to install. That text was sent back in April.
But Mann never showed up.
Another month of excuses passed and Sheets still didn't have her fence. She got in touch with me, and I called Mann.
Mann said the first week of June he had some personal issues, but he was very concerned about getting the job done and just asked that we give him another week.
He never came through and claimed he needed one more week. He said if he didn't get it done, he would give Sheets a full refund of $3,000.
That deadline also passed and Mann said he just does not have Sheets' refund and said he had declared bankruptcy.
When I asked Mann to produce any kind of documents that she he had Sheets' materials or that he declared bankruptcy, he said he would have to dig those up.
I checked with the Better Business Bureau and Mann's company has an F rating with 13 complaints in the last 3 years.
The best advice is to research any company before giving them money.
While Sheets said Mann talked like he knew what he was doing, once she started getting excuses she did a quick online search and learned of the similar complaints from the BBB.
cumberland county, troubleshooter, diane wilson
- Residents gather signatures to protest Publix store
- Photos: The Golden Globe nominees
- 5 year old surprises deaf parents at school holiday concert
- Texas teen who killed four in crash sentenced to probation
- Jailer to serve 90 days behind bars
- Feds shut 52 unsafe bus companies
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- NKorea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle as a traitor
- Bank robbery suspect sought in Fayetteville
- McCrory: Raleigh buildings are 'ugly as the dickens'
- Rash of shootings have Sanford on edge
- Bowl president: 'No doubt' about No. 22 Duke
- Pool parasite sickens high school swimmers
- McCrory lights State Capitol Christmas tree
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help