Woman at wit's end over toll bills in error
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- No one likes to pay tolls, but imagine getting billed for a drive you never took. That's what happened to a Triangle woman and when she couldn't get the bills to stop, she got in touch with the I-Team Troubleshooter.
Robin Greenough says month after month she kept getting bills for the Triangle Expressway despite not driving on it.
"I just want to stop getting them," said Greenough. "February, March, April and May. So I've received four actually."
While the bills are in her name, Greenough says the car getting captured on camera along the expressway is not her car.
"This is a Ford Taurus, Focus," she said. "It's not a 1996 Ford Mustang."
Greenough's daughter used to own a 1996 Ford Mustang with the license plate "LIZZIEB." She says despite turning that tag in three years ago, someone at the Triangle Expressway is reading the photo captured as the license plate "LIZZIEB" instead of "LIZZIE8."
"It's the camera's fault, that's what I'm hearing," said Greenough.
In February, when Greenough got the first bill, she says she disputed it right away.
"They would take it away. It didn't belong to me.," she said. "And they looked up the tags while I was online with them to find out who they belong to. I said, 'OK, that's fine.' I let it go."
However, she couldn't let it go as the bills kept coming each month, and she kept calling the NC Quick Pass office to dispute the bills.
"I'm at my wit's end, and I don't have a lot of wit's left," said Greenough. "So, I'm really frustrated with it. Some of my concern is if I don't dispute it, it doesn't get paid. How are they going to come after me?"
I got in touch with reps at the NC Quick Pass office, who tell me they're investigating why the plate is being read wrong. They also transferred the charges to the correct account. They say they have taken steps to ensure Greenough does not receive any more incorrect charges.
Greenough says she's thankful she can stop worrying about getting billed for something she doesn't use.
A supervisor with the NC Quick Pass office also reached out to Greenough and gave her his direct number if she has any more problems.
This is a great example of why it's important to look closely at every bill you get in the mail. So many times people just automatically pay the bills without even seeing if the charges are accurate or valid.
abc11 troubleshooter, 540 triangle expressway, troubleshooter, diane wilson
- Child killed in Johnston County crash 13 min ago
- Parents on smartphones ignore their kids, study finds
- Construction halted on controversial Raleigh home
- Thousands left in the dark due to outage
- Some recommendations approved for Chatham Park project 8 min ago
- Students describe aftermath of Ukrainian riots 34 min ago
- Judge: influence may have tainted Sinclair trial
- Dentist tells jurors he prayed child would die
- Elderly couple beaten, robbed in home
- Boaters rescued on Cape Fear River
- Stranded climber rescued from NC mountain
- Exercise highlights 440th Airlift Wing's importance
- Parts of Triangle still paralyzed by weather damage
- ABC11 channel changes coming to Time Warner customers
- Child killed in Johnston County crash
13 min ago
- 2 shot in Gates Four community
11 min ago
- Some recommendations approved for Chatham...
8 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help