Scam victim helped by ABC11 viewer
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Back in October I told you the story of a woman who lost hundreds of dollars when she tried to get a loan.
An ABC11 viewer stepped forward to help her out this holiday season.
Gina Peppers was left with hardly anything in her bank account after getting scammed out of $800.
"We only have $12.22 left in our account," Gina said. "They said our credit score was good enough for a $10,000 loan."
She thought she was getting the $10,000 loan and all she had to do was wire $800 to the lender in Canada.
"We needed to wire the down payment and that would be for three months in advance of our payment and we should receive the money in our account the same day," Gina said.
That never happened. Instead, Gina never got the promised loan and her $800 was gone.
An ABC11 viewer saw the story and anonymously sent a check to give to Gina. We surprised her with it. Gina was overwhelmed and said it will go to good use.
"Thank you so much, I can get some groceries now," she said.
durham county, troubleshooter, diane wilson
- Police investigate shooting death as homicide
- FDA to regulate e-cigarettes
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Photos: 'That happened how?' Bizarre mix-ups
- Dogwood Festival ready for weather, crowds 50 min ago
- Mother claims daughter assaulted on field trip
- 11 kids, driver hurt in Calif. school bus crash
- I-Team: Babies not getting care due to backlog
- I-Team: Mom warns of shopping cart danger
- Public memorial service set for Danielle Locklear
- Local roofer banned from taking money up front
- New Georgia law makes it legal to carry weapons into bars,...
- Video: Historic NCSU building set for demolition
- Video: Bruce Springsteen fans gather for PNC Arena...
- Dogwood Festival ready for weather, crowds
50 min ago
- Residents concerned about coal ash in Kerr...
59 min ago