Scam victim helped by ABC11 viewer
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Back in October I told you the story of a woman who lost hundreds of dollars when she tried to get a loan.
An ABC11 viewer stepped forward to help her out this holiday season.
Gina Peppers was left with hardly anything in her bank account after getting scammed out of $800.
"We only have $12.22 left in our account," Gina said. "They said our credit score was good enough for a $10,000 loan."
She thought she was getting the $10,000 loan and all she had to do was wire $800 to the lender in Canada.
"We needed to wire the down payment and that would be for three months in advance of our payment and we should receive the money in our account the same day," Gina said.
That never happened. Instead, Gina never got the promised loan and her $800 was gone.
An ABC11 viewer saw the story and anonymously sent a check to give to Gina. We surprised her with it. Gina was overwhelmed and said it will go to good use.
"Thank you so much, I can get some groceries now," she said.
durham county, troubleshooter, diane wilson
- 20 children among 51 dead in Okla. tornado 5 min ago
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Frightening moments for family with Okla. ties 5 min ago
- Hazmat situation at Raleigh apt. complex 37 min ago
- Police search for shooting suspect 26 min ago
- NC Senate budget plan heavy on Medicaid spending
- NRC meets public after nuclear plant shuttered
- Prosecution rests in Abaroa murder trial
- Woman accused of poisoning family
- Closing arguments to begin in McNeill trial
- Video: Blood drive held to honor injured trooper
- Broyhill indicted in Hahn murder
- Frightening moments for local family with...
2 min ago
- NC NAACP protests reach highest arrest...
1 min ago