McCrory names three to top law enforcement posts
RALEIGH -- Gov. Pat McCrory named his choices to run three North Carolina law enforcement agencies under his oversight Thursday.
McCrory and Public Safety Secretary Kieran Shanahan announced Col. William "Bill" Grey is the new commander of the state Highway Patrol, Greg Baker will be director of the Division of Alcohol Law Enforcement and former Clayton police chief Glen Allen is now chief of the State Capitol Police. The announcement included a swearing-in ceremony in the House chamber of the old Capitol.
"These men have compiled exemplary records in law enforcement and are well equipped to carry out their new responsibilities," said Governor Pat McCrory. "I am confident the people of North Carolina will be well served by these appointments."
Colonel Grey is a former Marine from Cary. He came to the North Carolina Highway Patrol in 1991 and has worked in the technical services branch of the Highway Patrol where he headed up equipment purchases and IT work.
Lt. Col. Gary Bell - who'd been in the job as acting commander - is now Deputy Commander.
Baker is currently a special agent with the Federal Bureau of Investigation. As ALE director, he will oversee the agency that enforces the state alcohol, tobacco, lottery and gambling laws.
Allen has been the chief of the Clayton Police Department since 2006. He was also the chief of Henderson Police Department for nine years. State Capitol Police provides security for workers and visitors at the state government complex in downtown Raleigh. The agency has been without a permanent chief since last summer, following the death of Chief Scott Hunter.
pat mccrory, inside politics
- Barber, 11 others guilty in Moral Monday protests
- 'Tipsforjesus' leaving thousands in tips
- Does bathing in vitamin C water improve health?
- Family says Nelson Mandela on 'deathbed'
- 2 dead, 1 wounded in shooting near NC college
- Fayetteville bank robber sought
- Tata blames environmentalists for bridge woes
- NC has fewer teachers and more students
- UNC upsets No. 1 Michigan State
- NC State beats Northwestern 69-48
- Float banned from Clayton Christmas parade
- Autopsy: Actor died from impact, fire in crash
- Student arrested with loaded gun at Durham high school
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help