Fire damages downtown Durham shops, apartments
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Fire struck a building housing several shops and apartments in downtown Durham early Monday.
The fire started just after 1 a.m. in the 100 block of East Chapel Hill Street in the Five Points area.
It took firefighters a while to extinguish the blaze at the Pizzeria Toro. Fire officials say the Bullseye Bicycle shop, The Cupcake Bar, and three apartments that were in the same century-old Morris building suffered smoke and water damage.
» Click here to view a map of the area «
Five residents in the apartments were evacuated, but no one was injured.
One of the residents said the historic building was one of the reasons he invested there.
"It's one of the oldest buildings, actually one of the newest renovations in downtown," apartment owner David Scarborough said. "They finished this renovation in September of last year and it was a new bright spot in downtown, so it's really a shame this happened this soon after completion."
The fire has been ruled accidental. Fire officials say it started in the roof of the building.
Meanwhile, the owner of Pizzeria Toro said that he plans to reopen as soon as he can.
It is the second fire at the restaurant this year. In April, a fire in the kitchen ventilation duct closed down the pizzeria for several days.
north carolina news, durham county news, fire, local/state
- Police investigate shooting death as homicide
- FDA to regulate e-cigarettes
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Photos: 'That happened how?' Bizarre mix-ups
- Dogwood Festival ready for weather, crowds
- Mother claims daughter assaulted on field trip
- 11 kids, driver hurt in Calif. school bus crash
- I-Team: Babies not getting care due to backlog
- I-Team: Mom warns of shopping cart danger
- Public memorial service set for Danielle Locklear
- Local roofer banned from taking money up front
- New Georgia law makes it legal to carry weapons into bars,...
- Video: Historic NCSU building set for demolition
- Video: Bruce Springsteen fans gather for PNC Arena...