11-year-old Sampson County girl's death declared a homicide
SAMPSON COUNTY, N.C. (WTVD) -- Authorities in Sampson County are now investigating an 11-year-old Salemburg girl's death earlier this month as a homicide.
Officials confirmed to ABC11 Friday that McKenzie Sessoms was found unresponsive in her home on Hairr Lane by a family member on the morning of Sept. 6.
Sessoms lived at the home with her father and siblings, but authorities would not say who found the girl and have not said if there are any suspects in the case.
"It's not normal for a perfectly healthy 11-year-old to end up dead (this way)," Sampson County Sheriff's Deputy Marcus Smith said.
Sessoms' cause of death has not been released pending further investigation.
Authorities are asking anyone with information about the case to call the Sampson County Sheriff's Office at (910) 592-4141.
north carolina news, sampson county news, homicide, local/state
- Drug bust at home owned by UNC's Roy Williams 3 min ago
- Brisk sales raise Mega Millions jackpot to $425M
- Ex-racer Mayfield's home to be burned for training
- Dog helps Alaska woman survive 3 nights in cold
- Social media fuels school threat concerns
- Deputies raid Durham sweepstakes cafe 34 min ago
- Robbery suspect uses box as disguise
- Durham Freeway reopened following closure
- Thousands of Ft. Bragg soliders to deploy to Afghanistan
- One man killed, another injured in shooting 24 min ago
- Residents gather signatures to protest Publix store
- Raleigh house damaged in fire
- Two shot, wounded at NC chicken plant
- Teacher accused of feeding autistic boy hot sauce rehired
- Drug bust at home owned by UNC's Roy Williams
16 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help