1 bicyclist killed, another injured in Chapel Hill hit-and-run
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WTVD) -- Authorities in Chapel Hill are searching for a driver that hit two bicyclists, killing one and injuring the other.
It happened on U.S. Highway15/501 at Wave Road.
The North Carolina Highway Patrol said a Pittsboro police officer found the cyclists in the middle of the highway about 11:30 p.m. Thursday.
Investigators said 41-year-old Ivin Levander Scurlock, of Carrboro, died at the scene. The second bicyclist, identified as 40-year-old Alexandria Nicole Simou, of Chapel Hill, was taken to UNC Hospital where she was last listed in critical condition.
Authorities said Scurlock was wearing a reflective vest at the time of the accident.
"She was a really nice person. She didn't deserve to be hurt like that," said a friend of the victims, Dirck Martin. "Ivan was nice guy. He didn't deserve to have his life taken away."
Authorities are currently looking for a vehicle with front-end and windshield damage, but they did not know the make and model. They also said speed appeared to be a factor given the point of impact and where both victims ended up.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Hillsborough Highway Patrol at (919) 732-2551 or the Raleigh Highway Patrol Communication Center at (919) 733-3861.
north carolina news, orange county news, chapel hill news, local/state
- Soggy, cool Saturday to start holiday weekend
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash
- Why married women cheat
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- New bill aims to curb overzealous photoshopping
- Shedding light on Clinton's health overhaul flop
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Asia seeks Obama's assurance in territorial spats
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Sub search for missing jet to be finished in week
- NC woman to climb Kilimanjaro to focus on diabetes
- Cooper asks NC court to intervene in rate increase
- Warehouse fire cause explained
- At barricades, Ukraine insurgents await Easter