1 bicyclist killed, another injured in Chapel Hill hit-and-run
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WTVD) -- Authorities in Chapel Hill are searching for a driver that hit two bicyclists, killing one and injuring the other.
It happened on U.S. Highway15/501 at Wave Road.
The North Carolina Highway Patrol said a Pittsboro police officer found the cyclists in the middle of the highway about 11:30 p.m. Thursday.
Investigators said 41-year-old Ivin Levander Scurlock, of Carrboro, died at the scene. The second bicyclist, identified as 40-year-old Alexandria Nicole Simou, of Chapel Hill, was taken to UNC Hospital where she was last listed in critical condition.
Authorities said Scurlock was wearing a reflective vest at the time of the accident.
"She was a really nice person. She didn't deserve to be hurt like that," said a friend of the victims, Dirck Martin. "Ivan was nice guy. He didn't deserve to have his life taken away."
Authorities are currently looking for a vehicle with front-end and windshield damage, but they did not know the make and model. They also said speed appeared to be a factor given the point of impact and where both victims ended up.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Hillsborough Highway Patrol at (919) 732-2551 or the Raleigh Highway Patrol Communication Center at (919) 733-3861.
north carolina news, orange county news, chapel hill news, local/state
- Duke Chapel holds Mandela memorial
- Snowball fight could lead to criminal charges
- Airline's sweet surprise for passengers
- One day left to help hungry families through the holidays
- Billy Graham weaker since 95th birthday party
- Shooting reported in Raleigh
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
- Modest Eastern snowstorm brings closures, delays
- Serial bank robber arrested in Durham
- Bubba the goat is no longer on the lam
- Bipartisan negotiators reach modest budget pact
- Car crashes on Glenwood Avenue during chase
- Walmart, AIG say they plan nearly 700 NC jobs
- Groups shun NC critics, appeal Bonner Bridge case
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help