1 bicyclist killed, another injured in Chapel Hill hit-and-run
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WTVD) -- Authorities in Chapel Hill are searching for a driver that hit two bicyclists, killing one and injuring the other.
It happened on U.S. Highway15/501 at Wave Road.
The North Carolina Highway Patrol said a Pittsboro police officer found the cyclists in the middle of the highway about 11:30 p.m. Thursday.
Investigators said 41-year-old Ivin Levander Scurlock, of Carrboro, died at the scene. The second bicyclist, identified as 40-year-old Alexandria Nicole Simou, of Chapel Hill, was taken to UNC Hospital where she was last listed in critical condition.
Authorities said Scurlock was wearing a reflective vest at the time of the accident.
"She was a really nice person. She didn't deserve to be hurt like that," said a friend of the victims, Dirck Martin. "Ivan was nice guy. He didn't deserve to have his life taken away."
Authorities are currently looking for a vehicle with front-end and windshield damage, but they did not know the make and model. They also said speed appeared to be a factor given the point of impact and where both victims ended up.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Hillsborough Highway Patrol at (919) 732-2551 or the Raleigh Highway Patrol Communication Center at (919) 733-3861.
north carolina news, orange county news, chapel hill news, local/state
- Proposed penalties in NC Fair accident announced
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Photos: 'That happened how?' Bizarre mix-ups
- Man seeks to hide 'murder' tattoo before trial
- Teacher pay raise in Wake County could require tax increase 16 min ago
- Raleigh police seek 'Bearded Bandit'
- Protestors demand state leaders expand Medicaid 26 min ago
- Video: I-Team: Who pays coal ash cleanup cost? 18 min ago
- NCCU bracing for job cuts
- Interim president of St. Augustine's University named
- Man injured in Raleigh shooting
- Suspect shoots at deputy in Four Oaks
- Object washes ashore amid Malaysia plane search
- 9th suspect in Wake Forest kidnapping surrenders
- I-Team: Who pays coal ash cleanup cost?
18 min ago
- Money Saver: NC Foreclosure Prevention Fund
35 min ago