Charges filed in Durham scooter driver's death
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Police say a person on a motorized scooter was killed in an accident just before 2 p.m. Wednesday.
It happened on University Drive at Durham-Chapel Hill Boulevard.
Police said a scooter collided with the side of a 1996 Dodge when the Dodge tried to make a left turn onto Durham-Chapel Hill Boulevard.
The driver of the scooter was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time later.
Police identified the driver of the scooter as 33-year-old Joshua Johnson, of Durham. The driver of the Dodge is James Byrd, also of Durham.
Byrd was not injured. He was charged Thursday with failure to yield right of way and misdemeanor death by vehicle.
durham county, accident, local/state
- Winter storm warning for ice in northern areas 3 min ago
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Don't worry, guacamole safe from climate change
- Airline passenger leaves nasty note for pilot
- Man accused of taking doctor's identity surrenders
- Durham crime numbers show mixed results
- Sinclair to face 15 year sentence, plea offer accepted
- NCCU students take part in Match Madness
- NC terror suspect says he's being tortured
- Man charged in fatal hit-and-run gets lower bond
- Road rage incident leads to gun being shown
- Coach K released from hospital after game
- More evidence presented in Teghan Skiba murder case
- EU slaps initial sanctions on Russia
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help