Charges filed in Durham scooter driver's death
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Police say a person on a motorized scooter was killed in an accident just before 2 p.m. Wednesday.
It happened on University Drive at Durham-Chapel Hill Boulevard.
Police said a scooter collided with the side of a 1996 Dodge when the Dodge tried to make a left turn onto Durham-Chapel Hill Boulevard.
The driver of the scooter was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time later.
Police identified the driver of the scooter as 33-year-old Joshua Johnson, of Durham. The driver of the Dodge is James Byrd, also of Durham.
Byrd was not injured. He was charged Thursday with failure to yield right of way and misdemeanor death by vehicle.
durham county, accident, local/state
- Soggy, cool Saturday to start holiday weekend
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash
- Why married women cheat
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- New bill aims to curb overzealous photoshopping
- Shedding light on Clinton's health overhaul flop
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Asia seeks Obama's assurance in territorial spats
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Sub search for missing jet to be finished in week
- NC woman to climb Kilimanjaro to focus on diabetes
- Cooper asks NC court to intervene in rate increase
- Warehouse fire cause explained
- At barricades, Ukraine insurgents await Easter