Charges filed in Durham scooter driver's death
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Police say a person on a motorized scooter was killed in an accident just before 2 p.m. Wednesday.
It happened on University Drive at Durham-Chapel Hill Boulevard.
Police said a scooter collided with the side of a 1996 Dodge when the Dodge tried to make a left turn onto Durham-Chapel Hill Boulevard.
The driver of the scooter was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time later.
Police identified the driver of the scooter as 33-year-old Joshua Johnson, of Durham. The driver of the Dodge is James Byrd, also of Durham.
Byrd was not injured. He was charged Thursday with failure to yield right of way and misdemeanor death by vehicle.
durham county, accident, local/state
- Proposed penalties in NC Fair accident announced 4 min ago
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Photos: 'That happened how?' Bizarre mix-ups
- Man seeks to hide 'murder' tattoo before trial
- Teacher pay raise in Wake County could require tax increase 26 min ago
- Raleigh police seek 'Bearded Bandit'
- Protestors demand state leaders expand Medicaid 36 min ago
- Video: I-Team: Who pays coal ash cleanup cost? 28 min ago
- NCCU bracing for job cuts
- Interim president of St. Augustine's University named
- Man injured in Raleigh shooting
- Suspect shoots at deputy in Four Oaks
- Object washes ashore amid Malaysia plane search
- 9th suspect in Wake Forest kidnapping surrenders
- I-Team: Who pays coal ash cleanup cost?
28 min ago
- Money Saver: NC Foreclosure Prevention Fund
45 min ago