Fundraiser held for Apex girl who died from rare disease
APEX, N.C. (WTVD) -- A fundraiser was Wednesday for an Apex girl who lost her battle with a rare disease that doctors first thought was a weight problem.
Kiera Burkhardt had just finished the second grade when she passed away unexpectedly.
Her parents said in just six months, the 8 year old gained 60 pounds. They said doctors first she thought had was weight problem, but months later discovered she had a disease called Cushing's syndrome -- when a tumor grows on a gland and produces excessive hormones.
Her family said Kiera died from cardiac arrest earlier this month because of complications with the disease.
"Be your child's advocate 100 percent no matter what any doctor tells you," Kiera's mother Kelly Burkhardt said. "That instinct that something is wrong is always right. So definitely follow that, and in the aspect of Cushings, not a lot of pediatricians are aware of it. Hopefully, that's something that will be changing."
The fundraiser helped Kiera's family pay for medical bills.
wake county, local/state
- Video shows encounter that led to inmate's death
- Snowball fight could lead to criminal charges
- Airline's sweet surprise for passengers
- One day left to help hungry families through the holidays
- Modest Eastern snowstorm brings closures, delays 7 min ago
- Bipartisan negotiators reach modest budget pact 15 min ago
- Car crashes on Glenwood Avenue during chase 26 min ago
- Walmart, AIG say they plan nearly 700 NC jobs 21 min ago
- Groups shun NC critics, appeal Bonner Bridge case 21 min ago
- Duke Chapel holds Mandela memorial
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
- Senate OKs Obama pick Watt for housing regulator
- Whistleblower in athletics scandal speaks to UNC committee
- Second arrest made in Durham double shooting
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help