Shearon Harris now running at full power
NEW HILL, N.C. (WTVD) -- The Shearon Harris nuclear reactor is now once again operating at 100 percent.
Last week, it was only operating at seven percent.
The reactor shut down May 15 after a 2012 inspection found cracks and corrosion in a reactor vessel.
The company said there was no evidence of radiation leakage from a quarter-inch flaw in the reactor vessel, which contains heat produced by the nuclear core's energy.
The Nuclear Regulatory Commission will hold a public meeting in Holly Springs on Thursday to discuss what went wrong, and how the problem was fixed.
wake county, local/state
- Temps plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday
- Photos: Meet the New Bachelor Contestants
- Photos: Raleigh Winterfest Celebration 2013-2014
- Raleigh police investigate homicide
- Rabies alert in Wake County
- Durham hosts Special Olympic bowlers
- Up to 50 vehicles collide in deadly Pennsylvania Turnpike crash
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- South Africans pray for Mandela
- Nasty weather hits several NFL games
- In 2nd week, 'Frozen' tops box office with $31.6M
- Panthers, Saints seek control of NFC South race
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help