Moore County teacher charged with having sex with student
ABERDEEN, N.C. (WTVD) -- A Moore County middle school teacher faces charges of having sex with a student.
School system officials have not said where 50-year-old Gregory Smith was arrested. Smith, a middle school teacher at Southern Middle School, is charged with five counts of sex offenses with a student.
The alleged incidents occurred in March, April, and early May.
According to the school website, Smith was an eighth grade social studies teacher. Officials confirmed that Smith has been fired. His alleged victim, according to a police report, is a 17 year old student at Pinecrest High School.
Moore County School officials released a statement that says in part, "The safety and well-being of our students is always our first priority, and we purposely strive to ensure our employees are held to the highest moral and ethical standards."
It goes on to say, "An occurrence such as this deeply affects both our school system and our community."
School officials say they will strive to ensure that the student involved in the incident as well as students here at southern middle school have access to school counselors if they need to talk.
Smith is in the Moore County Jail under a $1 million bond.
sex offense, moore county, local/state, greg barnes
- Judge rules against teacher tenure state law
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Photos: 'That happened how?' Bizarre mix-ups
- Man seeks to hide 'murder' tattoo before trial
- Man killed by tractor in Johnston County
- Teen bicyclist hit by car in Johnston County
- Proposed penalties in NC Fair accident announced
- I-Team: Family says deputy hit child on bike
- Fort Bragg sex assault reporting increases as center opens
- Wake teacher pay raise could require tax increase
- Raleigh police seek 'Bearded Bandit'
- Protestors demand state leaders expand Medicaid
- Video: I-Team: Who pays coal ash cleanup cost?
- NYPD's Twitter request for photos backfires