Husband attacked during home invasion talks about ordeal
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- The husband who fought back during a Raleigh home invasion to save his wife is now speaking out about his recovery efforts and the support he's receiving from his community.
Jason Beyer can't talk specifics of that night because there are cases pending against the two suspects. However, he did tell ABC11 that despite being shot and suffering a traumatic spinal injury, he'd make the same choice all over again to save his wife, Jessica.
Back in January, two brothers allegedly broke into The Beyer's home in Raleigh's historic Oakwood neighborhood. Police say in addition to robbing the couple, the suspects tried to attack Jessica, and that's when Jason bravely confronted them, allowing his wife to run for help. Jason, however, was shot in the back and suffered a traumatic spinal injury.
"I didn't think there was a choice that night," said Jason. "I had an inkling of what was likely to happen, and I was going to do everything I could do to make sure that wasn't going to be the outcome."
Jessica did escape and ran for help. The suspects, 26-year-old Jahaad Marshall and 16-year-old Shabar Marshall, were arrested and are still awaiting trial.
Now, the couple is trying to put the past behind them while they focus on Jason's efforts to overcome the paralysis that's left him wheelchair bound.
"My hope is yes that I'll be able to walk at some point," said Jason. "If I can do it on my own great, but they've also got a lot of promising therapies coming out. "
His treatment, including a two month stay at a specialty hospital in Atlanta has been costly. To help with that, one of his coworkers helped put together a 5k fundraiser for this weekend.
"It actually wasn't my idea. It was my 9 and 7 year olds idea," said Jason's coworker Brian Peters. "We were sitting around at dinner. The story had been on the news, and they'd met Jason once before, and they were talking about was there something they could do to help."
From there, the idea was born, gaining support from a couple of father-daughter groups associated with the YMCA along with the Oakwood Home Association and the Raleigh community at large.
"When we started, we had no idea it was going to be what it is today," said Peters.
They already have well over 100 people signed up, and they expect more people to show up the morning of the event.
As for the money they've raised, they've already nearly doubled their original fundraising goal.
Click here to find out how you can donate or take part in Saturday's 5k.
wake county, local/state, caitlin knute
- Winter weather possible for some northern areas
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Don't worry, guacamole safe from climate change
- Airline passenger leaves nasty note for pilot
- Man accused of taking doctor's identity surrenders
- Durham crime numbers show mixed results
- Sinclair to face 15 year sentence, plea offer accepted
- NCCU students take part in Match Madness
- NC terror suspect says he's being tortured
- Man charged in fatal hit-and-run gets lower bond
- Road rage incident leads to gun being shown
- Coach K released from hospital after game
- More evidence presented in Teghan Skiba murder case
- EU slaps initial sanctions on Russia
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help