Wake County Animal Shelter running at capacity
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- The Wake County Animal Shelter is currently at capacity. They say this is something that usually doesn't happen this early in the year.
Now, the shelter is working to create more space.
"We don't usually get an influx of animals this early in the year," said Cindy Lynch, with the Wake County Animal Shelter.
There are too many animals with no home and no place to go, and the shelter literally has every cage full.
"We're seeing an increased number of strays," said Lynch. "We're seeing an increased number of owner surrenders also which is sad because of the economy, moving, or different reasons."
Sadly, because this shelter is so full and with no one adopting potential pets there is a risk of some of the animals being put down. However, there's a solution and it involves you.
"The public can apply to help," said Lynch. "We're in desperate need for foster parents. We need foster parents to take the animals out of here for a week or two."
"The public can also come in to adopt," said Lynch. "We have great animals here."
If you're interested in helping out the shelter outside of adoption, you can go to the Friends of the Wake County Animal Shelter's Facebook page.
wake county, local/state, kelli o'hara
- North Carolina ties to Craigslist murder
- Heart of Carolina Food Drive wrapping up soon
- South African police prepare for Mandela ceremony
- Man must pay $50K after breaking up with fiancee
- Second suspect named in double murder 34 min ago
- World leaders to speak at massive Mandela memorial
- Deputy hits deer, tree in Moore County 5 min ago
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist
- Art Pope says he's sad about Roses, Maxway pickets 24 min ago
- Audit shows problems with NC Tracks
- Car drives off bridge, into Harnett County creek
- Bicyclist charged with DWI
- Online promotion idea turns sour for cupcake shop owner
- Sonic apologizes for racist sign
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help