Stepfather sheds light on stabbing victim, suspect
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Family members of Jamie Hahn are revealing new details about her dealings with her accused killer, Jon Broyhill.
Hahn's stepfather told ABC11 that Broyhill took advantage of her trust, and it wound up costing Hahn her life.
Passionate, aggressive and a strong work ethic. Those are reasons Hahn's stepfather, Marion Funderburk, gave for her rising star in North Carolina politics.
"Jamie was somebody that when you first meet her, you felt like she was your friend," said Funderburk by phone. "She's always been your friend. She just had a way with people to make them feel comfortable."
One of those people was Broyhill. He was Jamie and her husband Nation's best friend and best man in their wedding. Broyhill is now accused of murder after allegedly stabbing the couple in their north Raleigh home Monday.
"She was one of the most trusting people of anybody and sometimes that didn't work in her favor," said Funderburk. "I guess you take somebody in like Jon and he did what he did."
Jamie's family said she hired Broyhill as an accountant for her political consulting firm Sky Blue Strategies.
"He worked for her for about a year and they were always there for him when he needed help," said Funderburk. "He struggled with everything he did work wise and friend wise and they were there to help him, and that's what her and Nation were about -- helping people."
But the effort to help in this case may have backfired in more than one way.
In addition to a murder charge, there are allegations Broyhill may have embezzled campaign funds from one of Jamie's clients and lied to church members about having cancer.
"They took Jon in to help him and this is the thanks that she got," said Funderburk. "You know she'd be the first to forgive Jon if she had lived through this. She was just a good person, that's all I can say."
A funeral for Jamie Hahn will be held Saturday.
wake county, homicide, local/state, fred shropshire
- Video shows encounter that led to inmate's death
- Snowball fight could lead to criminal charges
- Airline's sweet surprise for passengers
- One day left to help hungry families through the holidays
- Modest Eastern snowstorm brings closures, delays 32 min ago
- Bipartisan negotiators reach modest budget pact 40 min ago
- Car crashes on Glenwood Avenue during chase 51 min ago
- Walmart, AIG say they plan nearly 700 NC jobs 46 min ago
- Groups shun NC critics, appeal Bonner Bridge case 46 min ago
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada 18 min ago
- Duke Chapel holds Mandela memorial
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
- Senate OKs Obama pick Watt for housing regulator
- Whistleblower in athletics scandal speaks to UNC committee
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help