Sources: Stabbing suspect told people he has cancer
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Sources tell ABC11 that Jon Broyhill - the man who allegedly murdered Democrat fundraiser Jamie Hahn this week - recently began telling people he's suffering from cancer - a claim that is not true.
Rev. Nancy Petty - pastor of Pullen Memorial Baptist Church - told ABC11 Thursday that Broyhill, 31, told her and fellow church members that he was suffering from pancreatic cancer. Petty said police detectives told her the claim was false.
Police say Broyhill stabbed Hahn, 29, and her husband Nation Hahn in their Raleigh home Monday night. Jamie Hahn died from her wounds at WakeMed early Wednesday.
The Hahns were longtime friends of Broyhill's - who was best man at their wedding and regularly had dinner with the couple on Monday evenings.
Police have not disclosed any motive for the alleged attack, but former Congressman Brad Miller told ABC11 Wednesday he wouldn't be surprised if money missing from his campaign might have something to do with it.
Broyhill worked as an accountant for Jamie's political consulting firm, Sky Blue Strategies, where Miller was a client. Miller told ABC11 Wednesday he's just learned of an inquiry into his campaign's finances. Miller said last fall the Federal Elections Commission sent his 2010 campaign a letter about five donors whose refunds never came.
"The FEC did send a letter that I just found out about today and the letter was to John Wallace, the campaign treasurer, and he just found out about it today he told me," said Miller.
Miller theorized Jamie Hahn may have been pressing Broyhill for answers about the missing money.
Broyhill remains at WakeMed where he was taken after he turned the knife on himself after the alleged attack on the Hahn's. Nation Hahn was treated and released for his injuries.
A funeral service for Jamie Hahn is scheduled for Saturday at Pullen Memorial Baptist Church.
wake county, stabbing, local/state
- Temps plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday
- Photos: Meet the New Bachelor Contestants
- Photos: Raleigh Winterfest Celebration 2013-2014
- Raleigh police investigate homicide
- Rabies alert in Wake County
- Durham hosts Special Olympic bowlers
- Up to 50 vehicles collide in deadly Pennsylvania Turnpike crash
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- South Africans pray for Mandela
- Nasty weather hits several NFL games
- In 2nd week, 'Frozen' tops box office with $31.6M
- Brees sharp, Saints beat Panthers 31-13
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help