Teen could be jailed, fined over Cary Parkway culvert fire
CARY, N.C. (WTVD) -- The 17 year old facing charges in a culvert fire that caused Cary Parkway to collapse last month, could face extended jail time and fines.
The road between Two Creeks Road and Lake Pine Drive was shut down for weeks after investigators said Tristan Zammit set a fire in the culvert on March 21.
The Cary High School student confessed days later and a search warrant showed investigators believed Zammit was trying to burn his name into the side of the pipe, which was coated with flammable tar to prevent rust.
The incident caused $480,000 in damage.
Zammit appeared before a judge Thursday along with his father.
The teen could be facing 60 days in jail and could have to pay some of the almost half a million dollar repair cost.
Official said they have worked with North Carolina Department of Transportation to make sure that restitution is a part of the court proceedings.
Zammit didn't want to comment after the judge continued his case to June 4.
Court records show he has other cases pending for misdemeanor assault, larceny and felony breaking and entering.
However, his attorney told ABC11 he's a good guy and they're looking toward their next court date.
"It's hard to say whether it will be resolved in June 4, but we'll look at the facts and we'll get everything together," Drew Sprague said. "Tristan is a good kid. He's a 17-year-old kid. He's a junior at Cary High School and ... he's just a good kid."
wake county, local/state
- Police investigate shooting death as homicide
- FDA to regulate e-cigarettes
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Photos: 'That happened how?' Bizarre mix-ups
- Dogwood Festival ready for weather, crowds
- Mother claims daughter assaulted on field trip
- 11 kids, driver hurt in Calif. school bus crash
- I-Team: Babies not getting care due to backlog
- I-Team: Mom warns of shopping cart danger
- Public memorial service set for Danielle Locklear
- Local roofer banned from taking money up front
- New Georgia law makes it legal to carry weapons into bars,...
- Video: Historic NCSU building set for demolition
- Video: Bruce Springsteen fans gather for PNC Arena...