Police chief defends gang warning about Dogwood Festival
FAYETTEVILLE (WTVD) -- Fayetteville Police Chief Harold Medlock wants to set the record straight about who was responsible for banning gang members from the Dogwood Festival this weekend.
Medlock said it was him and he made no apologies.
Festival organizers drafted letters to gang members who are known through the police department after there were threats of gun violence at the festival.
Those letters were hand delivered by law enforcement.
Wednesday, Medlock said the letters went out to about 50 known gang members and it's within the department's rights to issue the warnings because, although it is a public festival, the area has been purchased by organizers, essentially making it private property for the weekend.
Medlock talked about manning a huge festival in Charlotte, where he came from, and seeing gang violence turn deadly.
"I'm not willing to allow that to happen in Fayetteville, North Carolina," said Medlock. "If I have the power and the information to keep that from happening. I don't think there's anyone in this city that expects me as chief of police or any police officer to do anything differently."
Security will be beefed up. Medlock said every officer available will be on hand.
The festival runs this weekend.
cumberland county, local/state, nicole carr
- ABC11 food drive makes sure no one goes hungry
- Woman claws her way out of locked bathroom
- Pope Francis is Time's Person of the Year
- Man arrested in death of SC mayor's brother in law
- Man charged with stealing names, SS numbers from soldiers
- Man struck, killed on I-95 in Selma
- Shearon Harris back in operation
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Appeal to be heard in Jason Young case
- Police: Teen in custody shot himself
- Pilot who crashed at SFO worried about landing
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Prosecutor: no domestic charges against Zimmerman
- Wake schools bus shows up hours late
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help