Odor of gas reported in southwestern Wake County
APEX, N.C. (WTVD) -- People living in several areas of southwestern Wake County reported a strong odor of gas Wednesday afternoon and evening.
Apex town officials say someone was cutting up propane tanks for scrap metal in the Evans Road area.
At some point during the disposal, a small fire ignited on the tar coating on the tank. This caused a release of sulfur dioxide, a compound added to otherwise odorless propane to give it a strong smell, warning people when there is a problem.
Authorities said the gas is not flammable, and there is no danger to the public.
wake county, local/state
- Police investigate shooting death as homicide
- FDA to regulate e-cigarettes
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Photos: 'That happened how?' Bizarre mix-ups
- Dogwood Festival ready for weather, crowds 50 min ago
- Mother claims daughter assaulted on field trip
- 11 kids, driver hurt in Calif. school bus crash
- I-Team: Babies not getting care due to backlog
- I-Team: Mom warns of shopping cart danger
- Public memorial service set for Danielle Locklear
- Local roofer banned from taking money up front
- New Georgia law makes it legal to carry weapons into bars,...
- Video: Historic NCSU building set for demolition
- Video: Bruce Springsteen fans gather for PNC Arena...
- Dogwood Festival ready for weather, crowds
50 min ago
- Residents concerned about coal ash in Kerr...
59 min ago