Pedestrian killed by CAT bus in Raleigh
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Authorities are investigating an accident after a man was hit by a Capital Area Transit bus in Raleigh Tuesday night.
It happened around 9:45 p.m. on Enterprise Street, just off Hillsborough Street near NC State's campus.
Police said the man, 55-year-old Jeffery Wayne Powers, was transported to WakeMed where he later died.
A passenger on the bus told ABC11 that Powers appeared to be staggering before he was hit by the bus.
According to an accident report by the Raleigh Police Department, Powers was impaired.
It stated that Powers was near the side of the road as the bus was passing, then stumbled and fell in to the side of the vehicle causing him to be run over by the back right tires of the bus.
No charges have been filed against the bus driver, and police say the bus was going about 5 mph when Powers fell. The driver and six passengers on the bus weren't hurt.
wake county, accident, local/state
- Soggy, cool Saturday to start holiday weekend
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash
- Why married women cheat
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- New bill aims to curb overzealous photoshopping
- Shedding light on Clinton's health overhaul flop
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Asia seeks Obama's assurance in territorial spats
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Sub search for missing jet to be finished in week
- NC woman to climb Kilimanjaro to focus on diabetes
- Cooper asks NC court to intervene in rate increase
- Warehouse fire cause explained
- At barricades, Ukraine insurgents await Easter