Durham police: No kidnapping or carjacking
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Contrary to initial reports from witnesses, Durham police say a woman was not kidnapped or carjacked during a robbery Tuesday evening.
Worshippers at Living Waters Christian Church said a man came running up to the front door of the church around 9 p.m. He told them he was stopped at Lynn Road and U.S. Highway 70 when someone approached his Nissan Maxima and told him to get out.
"He was with his girlfriend and someone hijacked her and made him strip down and he just ran through the woods," said eyewitness Kim Ingram. "They told him to run. So he ran through the woods and he showed up at the church."
Ingram said the man told them the carjackers took off with his girlfriend and cell phone still inside the car.
But Wednesday morning, Durham police had a different account of what happened. Investigators said a man and his female friend went to the Lynnhaven Apartments on Lynn Road around 8:45 p.m. to purchase some music. As they pulled into the apartment complex, a man flagged them down, took out a gun, and robbed them.
The suspect told the man in the car to take off his pants and run. The victim went to the nearby church for help.
Meanwhile, the female victim drove home and officers spoke to her later when she returned to the scene.
The suspect apparently fled on foot. He took cash, a purse, and phones. The male victim at first thought the suspect may have fled in their vehicle with the female victim still inside, but when she returned to the scene, she told them she was not carjacked or kidnapped.
No arrests have been made.
durham county, local/state
- Judge rules against teacher tenure state law
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Photos: 'That happened how?' Bizarre mix-ups
- Man seeks to hide 'murder' tattoo before trial
- Man killed by tractor in Johnston County
- Teen bicyclist hit by car in Johnston County
- Proposed penalties in NC Fair accident announced
- I-Team: Family says deputy hit child on bike
- Fort Bragg sex assault reporting increases as center opens
- Wake teacher pay raise could require tax increase
- Raleigh police seek 'Bearded Bandit'
- Protestors demand state leaders expand Medicaid
- Video: I-Team: Who pays coal ash cleanup cost?
- NYPD's Twitter request for photos backfires