UNC responds to sexual assault investigation
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WTVD) -- The University of North Carolina issued a response Friday afternoon regarding the federal investigation into how the university handles sexual assault cases on campus.
The university issued a 36 page response, and also said federal investigators will be on campus next month, looking into campus crime stats.
The five people who filed a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education have alleged that the university underreported cases of sexual assault.
They have also raised concerns about the policies in place to help students who are victims of sexual assault and sexual harassment, saying the staff lacks training. The university also says it invited the Office for Civil Rights to visit the campus last December but those plans were delayed because of the complaint.
Two of the women who've made national headlines with this story responded.
"They can have lot of pages of great policy and very pretty words, but I want to see action happen," said complainant Annie Clark.
"It isn't about policy," said complainant Andrea Pino. "it isn't about the pretty words and who they're hiring. It's about working together. We're not there yet."
UNC has denied those claims, pointing to the hiring of a new student complaint coordinator and a legal consultant.
unc, local/state, tamara gibbs
- Jailer to serve 90 days behind bars 9 min ago
- Photos: The Golden Globe nominees
- 5 year old surprises deaf parents at school holiday concert
- Texas teen who killed four in crash sentenced to probation
- Pool parasite sickens high school swimmers 10 min ago
- Lawmaker charged in state tax case out of jail
- Judge: No quick trial on NC voting law changes
- NCDOT: Bonner Bridge could reopen next week
- Appeal heard in Jason Young case
- Are more Dorito-flavored foods on the way?
- Ex-President Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker
- Interpreter for Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- Man charged with stealing names, SS numbers from soldiers
- Golf pro charged with sexually abusing boys
- Wakemed creates kid-friendly ER program
17 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help