Survivor describes violent street racing crash
FAYETTEVILLE (WTVD) -- Police said Monday they've arrested a 21-year-old man in an alleged street racing crash that killed two soldiers last week.
Nathan-el Freeman is charged with two counts of misdemeanor death by motor vehicle.
Investigators said he was driving a 2004 Pontiac G6 while racing a 2004 Pontiac GTO down Yadkin Road around 9:30 p.m. Thursday. The driver of the GTO lost control at Cimarron Drive and slammed head-on into a 2012 Volkswagen Jetta.
Both occupants of the GTO, 25-year-old Michael Hickey and 26-year-old Amber Bostian, were killed. Two in the Jetta were hospitalized.
One of those people who survived spoke exclusively to ABC11 Monday night.
Markita Parks believes her survival was divine intervention.
"Every time I go to sleep, I see the crash. I see my car," said Parks.
Bruised and battered, Parks said she never saw the car that hit her.
"My friend and I were going to dinner, and I remember just talking junk to him, and the next thing I knew I was coughing glass out," said Parks. "All I can remember is opening my eyes, and I was just in pain. That's the only thing I can remember being in pain. I didn't want to close my eyes. I wanted to close my eyes but I felt like if I closed my eyes I was not going to open them again."
Both Parks and Rashaad Mitchell were pulled from the passenger side of her car.
Parks wears a neck brace, and has multiple bruises and skin burns
Monday was the first time she actually looked at pictures from the crash scene.
cumberland county, accident, local/state
- Police investigate apparent murder-suicide 55 min ago
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Okla. tornado damage: Thousands of homes, $1.5-$2B 31 min ago
- Racial Justice Act repeal heard by NC House panel 42 min ago
- NC Senate spending plan given initial OK 40 min ago
- NC House bill opens renegotiation on Dix property
- NC terror suspect killed in overseas drone strike
- Acquaintance describes Abaroa after wife's death
- Stay safe from summer's deadly storms
- Jury begins deliberating in McNeill trial
- Rabies alert in Cary
- Driver killed after car collides with school bus
- Police investigate apparent murder-suicide
52 min ago
- Three arrested in north Raleigh murder
51 min ago
- Army declares missing soldier Kelli...
50 min ago