Survivor describes violent street racing crash
FAYETTEVILLE (WTVD) -- Police said Monday they've arrested a 21-year-old man in an alleged street racing crash that killed two soldiers last week.
Nathan-el Freeman is charged with two counts of misdemeanor death by motor vehicle.
Investigators said he was driving a 2004 Pontiac G6 while racing a 2004 Pontiac GTO down Yadkin Road around 9:30 p.m. Thursday. The driver of the GTO lost control at Cimarron Drive and slammed head-on into a 2012 Volkswagen Jetta.
Both occupants of the GTO, 25-year-old Michael Hickey and 26-year-old Amber Bostian, were killed. Two in the Jetta were hospitalized.
One of those people who survived spoke exclusively to ABC11 Monday night.
Markita Parks believes her survival was divine intervention.
"Every time I go to sleep, I see the crash. I see my car," said Parks.
Bruised and battered, Parks said she never saw the car that hit her.
"My friend and I were going to dinner, and I remember just talking junk to him, and the next thing I knew I was coughing glass out," said Parks. "All I can remember is opening my eyes, and I was just in pain. That's the only thing I can remember being in pain. I didn't want to close my eyes. I wanted to close my eyes but I felt like if I closed my eyes I was not going to open them again."
Both Parks and Rashaad Mitchell were pulled from the passenger side of her car.
Parks wears a neck brace, and has multiple bruises and skin burns
Monday was the first time she actually looked at pictures from the crash scene.
cumberland county, accident, local/state
- Governor declares emergency in North Carolina
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Man to go to trial over Girl Scout cookie purchase
- US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Veteran robbed, assaulted in home
- Missing Maryland girl found in South Carolina
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony
- Woman injured after jumping from car
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Rangers rally past Hurricanes 4-2
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help