Inmate dies after being found unconscious
DURHAM COUNTY (WTVD) -- Authorities revealed Monday that an inmate being held in the Durham County Detention Center died last week.
Terry Demetrius Lee, 21, was found unconscious in his cell by staff around 2:20 p.m. Thursday.
Authorities said staffers performed CPR until emergency crews arrived. Paramedics attempted to revive Lee, but were unable to. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
"My thoughts are with the Lee family, and I'm very sorry for their loss," Durham County Sheriff Mike Andrews said. "My office is conducting an investigation surrounding Mr. Lee's death and we have notified the SBI, which is standard procedure."
Lee's body has been sent to the state medical examiner's office for examination.
Lee was booked into the jail early Wednesday morning on several felony charges. He was being held in custody under a $1,000,500 bond.
durham county, local/state
- Enloe High student charged in gun store break-ins 25 min ago
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Crews respond to another water rescue on Cape Fear River 9 min ago
- Juvenile escapes from Durham County youth home 36 min ago
- NC troopers to crack down on texting while driving
- Duke beats Cornell to advance to lacrosse final 2 min ago
- Graduates in tornado-raked Okla. town vow to stay
- Bear struck and killed on I-40 near Winston-Salem
- Deputies find moonshine, still in Thomasville home
- Thousands of bridges at risk of freak collapse
- NY's Main Beach tops annual survey of best beaches
- Gay soccer player Robbie Rogers joins LA Galaxy