UNC officials tightlipped after meeting
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WTVD) -- Members of the UNC Board of Trustees had little to say after an "emergency" meeting Monday morning.
Board member Wade Hargrove told ABC11 that "personnel and legal issues" were discussed, but declined to give specifics.
There was plenty of speculation about the topic as the school faces multiple important issues.
One outstanding personnel matter involves the chancellor.
Late last year, Holden Thorp announced his resignation. It was later revealed that he will be leaving Chapel Hill this summer for a new job in St. Louis, at Washington University.
Hargrove did tell ABC11 that the search for a new chancellor is coming along.
"It's coming along very well," he said. "As I've said before we have a very impressive group of candidates that the board is considering. The search is really progressing very well. We certainly hope to have an announcement this spring."
The university is facing another deadline. UNC has to respond to the US Department of Education this week with details about how the university handles sexual assault cases on campus.
The school must produce documents outlining policies, training and grievance procedures for sexual assault complaints, plus a spreadsheet describing all student complaints by Thursday.
The request stems from a complaint that three students and a former assistant dean filed alleging that UNC mishandled reports of sexual harassment and sexual violence.
The U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights is investigating the allegations. The school has said it will cooperate fully.
"There will be announcements about the University's response when it's submitted," Hargrove said Monday. "The University is trying, responsibly to address those issues."
- Winning Powerball ticket sold in Florida 29 min ago
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- ABC11_WTVD is on Twitter
- ABC11's Gas Buddy: Find the cheapest gas
- Tanker truck collides with SUV in Johnston County
- Inmate escapes from NC prison, found 4 miles away
- 2 charged with murder in Rocky Mount shooting
- Army investigates 23-year-old paratrooper's death
- Another mugging reported at Durham bank
- Man, granddaughter killed in Wayne County crash
- Pedestrian hit, killed in Fayetteville
- Illinois Lottery bounced checks for 8 winners
- Eric Staal's MRI reveals good news for Caniacs
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade