Teen to be tried as adult in homeless man's murder
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- One of three 15 year olds charged with murdering a homeless man in Raleigh last year will be tried as an adult after graphic testmony in juvenile court Wednesday.
Testimony centered on the body of a homeless man found beaten to death and stuffed in a garbage can. The grisly discovery was made along a greenway path just south of downtown Raleigh last November.
The victim was later identified as 37-year-old Regynald Jose Brown.
Several juveniles testified Wednesday and provided new information in the case.
One said all the boys involved were members of a clique called "Big Money Swag," or "BMS."
According to testimony, BMS assaulted several homeless men. In one case, they made one of their victims eat feces, videotaped it, and showed it off to their friends.
One teen witness admitted taking part in the beating of Brown.
He said after the victim was beaten and kicked to the ground, one of the boys hit Brown in the head with a rock the size of a basketball at least three times. He also said they went back the next day to see Brown's body and he was still breathing.
At some point, Brown died and his body was stuffed in a rolling garbage bin.
The boys' neighbor also testified that he saw two of them with the bin the body was found in.
"I just knew it was something that was odd for that time of day and for kids to be pulling a trash can down the street," said Samuel Evans. "But the trash can appeared at that time to be empty."
In all, three 15-year-old boys were charged with murder. A 13-year-old boy was also charged with murder but was released in December after giving a statement to investigators. Another 15 year old has been charged as an accessory.
A second hearing for a teenager in the case Wednesday was continued until March 5.
State law bars prosecutors from seeking the death penalty in murder cases where the defendants are younger than 18.
wake county, homicide, local/state, ed crump
- Police investigate shooting death as homicide
- FDA to regulate e-cigarettes
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Photos: 'That happened how?' Bizarre mix-ups
- Dogwood Festival ready for weather, crowds
- Mother claims daughter assaulted on field trip
- 11 kids, driver hurt in Calif. school bus crash
- I-Team: Babies not getting care due to backlog
- I-Team: Mom warns of shopping cart danger
- Public memorial service set for Danielle Locklear
- Local roofer banned from taking money up front
- New Georgia law makes it legal to carry weapons into bars,...
- Video: Historic NCSU building set for demolition
- Video: Bruce Springsteen fans gather for PNC Arena...