School board prepares for power struggle with commissioners
CARY, N.C. (WTVD) -- Members of the Wake County School Board could be gearing up for a possible power struggle with the Wake County Board of Commissioners.
School board members openly admitted Tuesday evening that there appears to be a power struggle over the ownership over the schools and the building of new schools.
Board members said this is a very bad idea and that there are a lot of components that go into the building of a school and that commissioners have no idea the process works.
"It's unfortunate that we are having to speak out in these ways and that we have had to be defensive, if you will, but, at the same time, it was somewhat disrespectful of the county commissioners to jump over us," said board member Susan Evans.
"The resolution drives the wedge further between this board and the Wake County commissioners," said board member Deborah Prickett.
Some board members felt betrayed by their last meeting with the commissioners because shortly after that meeting commissioners voted to take over the schools.
Discussions will continue on Thursday when the board and county commissioners will meet again.
Also Tuesday evening, Tom Benton was sworn in as the newest school board member. He replaces Republican Chris Malone, who resigned after winning a State House seat last November.
Benton is a retired educator and former principal of Durant Middle School and Zebulon High School.
wake county, wake county schools, local/state, kelli o'hara
- Photos: Oklahoma tornado aftermath
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Candidates for Wake superintendent narrowed to 3
- Request for mistrial in McNeill case denied
- Forensic expert reads emails from Janet Abaroa
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' - who won season 16? 21 min ago
- NC attorney general warns of disaster relief scams
- Parents push to get Enloe students back in school
- Good Samaritan law intended to save lives
- Michael Jordan: Bobcats changing name to Hornets
- North Carolina schools prepare for tornadoes
- High School coach arrested on sex charge