Suspect identified in Fayetteville murder
FAYETTEVILLE (WTVD) -- Homicide detectives with the Fayetteville Police Department have identified the suspect involved in the shooting death of 19-year-old Dashaun Kelly on Saturday .
Police discovered Kelly's body along Green Valley Drive in Fayetteville around 2:30 a.m.
Witnesses told ABC11 the shooting happened at a house party that was supposed to be around 20 people. Somehow the party got out of hand and over 100 people were at the home.
Detectives have secured warrants for the arrest of 19-year-old Darren Tre Bridges, of Fayetteville, and charged him with first-degree murder. He is described as 5'9" tall, 130 pounds. Bridges has a tattoo of "loyalty" on his left forearm.
"From what I'm hearing is that he was at a house party, there was underage drinking there was an argument that broke out between my son and some young man at the party, and it escalated," his mother, Sharell Kelly said.
Dashaun Kelly's girlfriend was there the night of the party and said the fight started over a misunderstanding. The argument escalated into fists flying, and then she said someone fired a gun.
"He was real bloody. I took off my shirt I put it on his bullet wound I gave him CPR, I did all of that and nothing," girlfriend Joanie Medina said.
Sharell Kelly said her son was leaving in two weeks to go to basic training for the Army in Ft. Benning, Ga. Now instead of planning a goodbye party for her son, she is making funeral arrangements. Those have not yet been finalized.
A Fayetteville city councilman is sharing his outrage over the violence.
"We have several things that we have to do as a society to teach young people to first of all have respect for themselves," said Councilman Robert Massey, "and then to export that respect to each other. When you do that, you don't kill each other."
At this time, the investigation into the shooting is ongoing. Anyone with information on the whereabouts of Darren Bridges is asked to call 911 or CrimeStoppers at (910) 483-TIPS (8477).
cumberland county, homicide, local/state
- Governor declares emergency in North Carolina
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Man to go to trial over Girl Scout cookie purchase
- US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Veteran robbed, assaulted in home
- Missing Maryland girl found in South Carolina
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony
- Woman injured after jumping from car
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Rangers rally past Hurricanes 4-2
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help