Authorities: Teen killed after playing with gun
ROBESON COUNTY, N.C. (WTVD) -- Authorities in Robeson County are investigating the death of a local teenager who was killed while playing with a shotgun Thursday night.
It happened around 9:30 p.m. at a home on McQueen Road in Shannon outside of Red Springs.
When Robeson County Sheriff's deputies and EMS arrived at the house, they found an unresponsive 15 year old with a gunshot wound to his chest.
According to Randall Graham, who is an internal affairs investigator with the Robeson County Sheriff's Office, the teen and his 14-year-old brother had been playing with the shotgun when it fired and struck the older brother.
The 15 year old was later pronounced dead at the hospital.
Family members who spoke with ABC11 Friday identified the dead boy as Timothy Oxendine. They said he would have turned 16 next month.
Oxendine's stepfather said the gun belonged to him. He said it was used for bird hunting, but it hadn't worked properly for years, so he had stored it in a closet.
The stepfather was away in Virginia when it happened.
The Robeson County Sheriff's Office is still investigating the incident.
robeson county, local/state
- Soggy, cool Saturday to start holiday weekend
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash
- Why married women cheat
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- Shedding light on Clinton's health overhaul flop
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart 14 min ago
- Asia seeks Obama's assurance in territorial spats
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Sub search for missing jet to be finished in week
- NC woman to climb Kilimanjaro to focus on diabetes
- Cooper asks NC court to intervene in rate increase
- Warehouse fire cause explained
- At barricades, Ukraine insurgents await Easter
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche