Authorities: Teen killed after playing with gun
ROBESON COUNTY, N.C. (WTVD) -- Authorities in Robeson County are investigating the death of a local teenager who was killed while playing with a shotgun Thursday night.
It happened around 9:30 p.m. at a home on McQueen Road in Shannon outside of Red Springs.
When Robeson County Sheriff's deputies and EMS arrived at the house, they found an unresponsive 15 year old with a gunshot wound to his chest.
According to Randall Graham, who is an internal affairs investigator with the Robeson County Sheriff's Office, the teen and his 14-year-old brother had been playing with the shotgun when it fired and struck the older brother.
The 15 year old was later pronounced dead at the hospital.
Family members who spoke with ABC11 Friday identified the dead boy as Timothy Oxendine. They said he would have turned 16 next month.
Oxendine's stepfather said the gun belonged to him. He said it was used for bird hunting, but it hadn't worked properly for years, so he had stored it in a closet.
The stepfather was away in Virginia when it happened.
The Robeson County Sheriff's Office is still investigating the incident.
robeson county, local/state
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load 46 min ago
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- AAA Carolinas expects more travel on Memorial Day
- NC NAACP calls for June 3 rally for next protest
- 5.7-magnitude quake widely felt across N. Calif.
- Amanda Bynes arrested in NYC on marijuana charge
- Father sought after baby found with burns
- Gray seal spending time on NC beaches
- Charlotte mom has son jailed for stealing Pop Tarts
- Police investigate Durham bank robbery
- Jurors deadlock on Jodi Arias penalty
- Authorities: Barricade situation didn't happen