Authorities: Man wearing armor claims suspect shot him
CUMBERLAND COUNTY (WTVD) -- A Fayetteville man is facing charges after he told 911 operators someone allegedly shot at him.
Authorities said on Wednesday, 21-year old Jon Michael Mauldwin called 911 and claimed to have been involved in a shooting outside his Shadyside Lane home.
He allegedly said someone shot at him while he was wearing body armor, so he returned fire and hit the other person.
When authorities arrived at Mauldwin's house, they were unable to find any shell casings where the alleged shooting happened.
An investigation later determined that the round that hit Mauldwin's bullet proof vest was fired by his own .380 handgun.
Cumberland County Sheriff's Detectives charged Mauldwin with filing a false report with law enforcement officers and misuse of the 911 communication system. He has since been released on bond.
cumberland county, local/state
- Deputies shoot, kill female suspect
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- ABC11_WTVD is on Twitter
- ABC11's Gas Buddy: Find the cheapest gas
- Conn. commuter trains collide; 60 go to hospitals
- Eric Staal returns to Raleigh for MRI
- Child attacked by pit bull dog
- Man attempts to rob Zebulon bank
- Driver faces DWI charge after pedestrian accident
- Golfing great Ken Venturi dies at age 82
- Friend: Murdered mom deleted Facebook due to ex-husband
- Child charged in greenway flashing incident
- Missing man's body found in Jordan Lake
- Group against gay scout inclusion