Benson KKK leader sentenced
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A Ku Klux Klan leader learned his punishment Wednesday for stealing guns and plotting to kill the Johnston County sheriff.
A federal judge sentenced William Barefoot Jr. to 15 years in prison.
Barefoot was convicted last September of a scheme to sell stolen weapons.
Prosecutors also said Barefoot blamed Sheriff Steve Bizzell for the failure of a nightclub he owned.
He also blamed Bizzell for not allowing the Klan to march in Benson's annual Mule Days parade.
johnston county, local/state
- Man shot outside Fayetteville grocery store
- Car accident killed girls missing since 1971
- Dress codes: Where should schools set limits?
- Gas prices on the rise; still lower than last Easter
- Nurseries, homeowners take steps to protect plants
- Troubleshooter investigates Papa John's dough
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works 5 min ago
- 2 more charged in Wake Forest kidnapping
- Sketch of Cary rape suspect released
- McCrory proposes new coal ash regulation
- Amanda Hayes faces new charges in Texas
- Cumberland Co. damage caused by straight line winds