Benson KKK leader sentenced
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A Ku Klux Klan leader learned his punishment Wednesday for stealing guns and plotting to kill the Johnston County sheriff.
A federal judge sentenced William Barefoot Jr. to 15 years in prison.
Barefoot was convicted last September of a scheme to sell stolen weapons.
Prosecutors also said Barefoot blamed Sheriff Steve Bizzell for the failure of a nightclub he owned.
He also blamed Bizzell for not allowing the Klan to march in Benson's annual Mule Days parade.
johnston county, local/state
- Powerball players check their tickets
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- ABC11_WTVD is on Twitter
- ABC11's Gas Buddy: Find the cheapest gas
- Tanker truck collides with SUV in Johnston County
- Inmate escapes from NC prison, found 4 miles away
- 2 charged with murder in Rocky Mount shooting
- Army investigates 23-year-old paratrooper's death
- Another mugging reported at Durham bank
- Man, granddaughter killed in Wayne County crash
- Pedestrian hit, killed in Fayetteville
- Illinois Lottery bounced checks for 8 winners
- Eric Staal's MRI reveals good news for Caniacs
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos