Wake School Board names Malone's replacement
CARY, N.C. (WTVD) -- Five Democrats on the Wake County School Board added an ally Tuesday evening by selecting Tom Benton, who is a retired educator and former principal of Durant Middle School and Zebulon High School.
"Because of my experience, I know the kinds of questions to ask," said Benton.
"I thought we had eight excellent candidates," said School Board President Keith Sutton. "I would have been satisfied with any of them."
Benton's selection caps off an intensive process involving eight applicants. Seven of them were Democrats. Their expertise ranged from education and software development to the military.
One by one, the board grilled each candidate on various issues like student achievement and future assignment goals.
Benton replaces Republican Chris Malone, who resigned after winning a State House seat last November.
Benton is now responsible for representing students and parents in District One, which covers the Wake Forest-Rolesville area and parts of North Raleigh.
Benton said he almost shied away from applying, but his daughters convinced him otherwise.
"My two daughters said 'Dad, how can you not do this? You've always told us if you've got a chance to make a difference, you've got to step up and see if you can make a difference,'" said Benton.
Benton will be officially sworn in on Feb. 19. He will serve out the rest of Malone's term, which expires this November.
In March, the board will replace former board member Debra Goldman, who resigned last Friday after moving out of the area.
wake county, wake county schools, local/state, fred shropshire
- Jury resumes deliberations in jailer trial
- Photos: The Golden Globe nominees
- 5 year old surprises deaf parents at school holiday concert
- Texas teen who killed four in crash sentenced to probation
- Lawmaker charged in state tax case out of jail 6 min ago
- Judge: No quick trial on NC voting law changes
- NCDOT: Bonner Bridge could reopen next week
- Appeal heard in Jason Young case
- Are more Dorito-flavored foods on the way?
- Ex-President Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker
- Interpreter for Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- Man charged with stealing names, SS numbers from soldiers
- Accident shuts down Durham road
- Authorities cracking down on bank robberies
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help