Bouncer hurt in bar fight dies
SMITHFIELD, N.C. (WTVD) -- Hospital officials said Tuesday that Luther "Jerry" Burton Jr. was removed from life support at the request of his family.
Investigators said Burton suffered a head injury during a brawl at the Hookah House in Smithfield around 2 a.m. Saturday.
Burton was an off-duty bouncer who tried to break up the fight that escalated from two to at least 60 people.
When the crowd cleared, Burton was found lying in the parking lot.
Family members told ABC11 he suffered a major blow to the head when he hit the cement. They said his tongue went into the back of his throat and cut off oxygen, leading to brain damage.
The investigation into what happened continues.
A fund has been set up to help the family with burial expenses.
The Luther Gerald Burton Jr. memorial fund:
Can mail check to:
503 Raleigh Street
Newton Grove, NC 28366
Phone: (910) 594-1004
Fax: (910) 594-0015
208 West Main St.
Benson, NC 27504
Phone: (919) 894-3123
Fax: (919) 894-7394
johnston county, local/state
- Video shows encounter that led to inmate's death
- Snowball fight could lead to criminal charges
- Airline's sweet surprise for passengers
- One day left to help hungry families through the holidays
- Modest Eastern snowstorm brings closures, delays 31 min ago
- Bipartisan negotiators reach modest budget pact 39 min ago
- Car crashes on Glenwood Avenue during chase 50 min ago
- Walmart, AIG say they plan nearly 700 NC jobs 45 min ago
- Groups shun NC critics, appeal Bonner Bridge case 45 min ago
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada 17 min ago
- Duke Chapel holds Mandela memorial
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
- Senate OKs Obama pick Watt for housing regulator
- Whistleblower in athletics scandal speaks to UNC committee
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help