DA 'close to decision' on UNC academic scandal
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- Orange County District Attorney Jim Woodall told ABC11 Tuesday that he's "close to making a decision" on whether to pursue criminal charges in the UNC Academic Scandal, specifically within the Department of African and Afro-American Studies.
The African and Afro-American Studies program was at the center of an investigation into alleged academic fraud involving Tar Heel football players.
Woodall met with SBI agents just last week to review more evidence in their investigation.
Woodall said he expects to have a decision by the end of February on whether to pursue charges.
Last May, Woodall officially asked the State Bureau of Investigation to look into activities within the African and Afro-American Studies program. He said he wanted to know if there was any academic fraud, financial fraud, computer fraud, any forgery, or conspiracy to conceal any crimes.
Investigators are allegedly particularly interested in whether Professor Julius Nyang'oro was paid for classes he did not teach.
Nyang'oro was the department chairman.
A UNC review of classes within the department found 54 department classes that had little or no indication of instruction along with at least 10 cases of unauthorized grade changes for students who did not do all the work.
Nyang'oro has not responded to past requests from ABC11 for comment. He has not been charged.
orange county, unc, local/state
- NAACP, students challenge education changes
- Get the ABC11 First Alert Weather App
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Large amount of meth found near Raleigh airport 34 min ago
- Possible tornado damage reported in Franklin County
- Driver facing charges after passenger injured in accident 25 min ago
- Baby born on Raleigh Beltline
- UNC-Chapel Hill to conduct emergency drill
- NC undocumented ask for in-state tuition prices 19 min ago
- Obama renews call for nuclear reductions
- Hearings begin for Duke Energy's 5 percent hike
- NC Senate takes up energy conservation rollback
- UCLA defeats Wolfpack 2-1 at College World Series
- North Carolina undocumented immigrants ask...
18 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos