Clayton shoplifting, hit and run suspect arrested
CLAYTON, N.C. (WTVD) -- Clayton police have arrested a man involved in a hit and run and shoplifting from a Walmart.
Police arrested 22-year-old Skyler Tray Mazza, of Raleigh, in Cary on Friday.
Mazza is accused of stealing a television from the store on U.S. Highway 70 in Clayton then hitting a woman with a stolen truck.
Investigators said Mazza tried to leave the store at high speed in a stolen truck and hit a woman in her car in the parking lot. The woman was hospitalized for her injuries.
Perhaps because of the damage to the truck, Mazza abandoned the vehicle and ran into the nearby woods. Police later recovered the stolen television.
Mazza is charged with felony possession of a stolen vehicle and hit and run. His also faces misdemeanor larceny and resisting arrest charges. He was also served with an outstanding probation violation warrant.
Mazza is being held in the Johnston County Jail under a $135,000 secure bond.
The woman injured in the hit and run was treated for non-life threatening injuries the night of the incident.
johnston county, local/state
- Enloe High student charged in gun store break-ins
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- 7 hurt, 1 missing in Davidson County boat wreck
- Crews respond to another water rescue on Cape Fear River
- NC troopers to crack down on texting while driving
- Bear struck and killed on I-40 near Winston-Salem
- Duke beats Cornell to advance to lacrosse final
- Thousands of bridges at risk of freak collapse
- Authorities search for Iowa teen amid rain, wind
- Graduates in tornado-raked Okla. town vow to stay
- Deputies find moonshine, still in Thomasville home
- NY's Main Beach tops annual survey of best beaches