One charged in early morning fatal crash
WAKE COUNTY (WTVD) -- The North Carolina Highway Patrol has charged a woman in a fatal crash that left a friend dead early Wednesday.
The accident happened around 2:30 a.m. on Labrador Drive off Old Milburnie Road in the Mallard Crossing subdivision in Raleigh.
Authorities said a SUV ran off the road and hit a tree. There were two people in the car at the time, and a 21-year-old Amanda Massengill, of Bailey, N.C., was killed.
The alleged driver of the vehicle, 29-year-old Lydia Marie Mills, was arrested at WakeMed.
Investigators said the vehicle was travelling well over the posted 25 mile per hour speed limit, and alcohol played a role in the crash.
Mills faces several charges, including felony death by motor vehicle, driving while license revoked, and driving while impaired.
Residents in the area told ABC11 the SUV left a party at a home in the neighborhood shortly before the crash where there was some kind of altercation.
Mills was charged with misdemeanor assault in that incident.
wake county, local/state
- Child killed in Johnston County crash
- Parents on smartphones ignore their kids, study finds
- Construction halted on controversial Raleigh home
- Thousands left in the dark due to outage
- Some recommendations approved for Chatham Park project
- Students describe aftermath of Ukrainian riots
- Raleigh shooting under investigation
- Judge: influence may have tainted Sinclair trial
- Dentist tells jurors he prayed child would die
- Elderly couple beaten, robbed in home
- Boaters rescued on Cape Fear River
- Stranded climber rescued from NC mountain
- Exercise highlights 440th Airlift Wing's importance
- Parts of Triangle still paralyzed by weather damage
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help