One charged in early morning fatal crash
WAKE COUNTY (WTVD) -- The North Carolina Highway Patrol has charged a woman in a fatal crash that left a friend dead early Wednesday.
The accident happened around 2:30 a.m. on Labrador Drive off Old Milburnie Road in the Mallard Crossing subdivision in Raleigh.
Authorities said a SUV ran off the road and hit a tree. There were two people in the car at the time, and a 21-year-old Amanda Massengill, of Bailey, N.C., was killed.
The alleged driver of the vehicle, 29-year-old Lydia Marie Mills, was arrested at WakeMed.
Investigators said the vehicle was travelling well over the posted 25 mile per hour speed limit, and alcohol played a role in the crash.
Mills faces several charges, including felony death by motor vehicle, driving while license revoked, and driving while impaired.
Residents in the area told ABC11 the SUV left a party at a home in the neighborhood shortly before the crash where there was some kind of altercation.
Mills was charged with misdemeanor assault in that incident.
wake county, local/state
- Proposed penalties in NC Fair accident announced 4 min ago
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Photos: 'That happened how?' Bizarre mix-ups
- Man seeks to hide 'murder' tattoo before trial
- Teacher pay raise in Wake County could require tax increase 26 min ago
- Raleigh police seek 'Bearded Bandit'
- Protestors demand state leaders expand Medicaid 36 min ago
- Video: I-Team: Who pays coal ash cleanup cost? 28 min ago
- NCCU bracing for job cuts
- Interim president of St. Augustine's University named
- Man injured in Raleigh shooting
- Suspect shoots at deputy in Four Oaks
- Object washes ashore amid Malaysia plane search
- 9th suspect in Wake Forest kidnapping surrenders
- I-Team: Who pays coal ash cleanup cost?
28 min ago
- Money Saver: NC Foreclosure Prevention Fund
45 min ago