One charged in early morning fatal crash
WAKE COUNTY (WTVD) -- The North Carolina Highway Patrol has charged a woman in a fatal crash that left a friend dead early Wednesday.
The accident happened around 2:30 a.m. on Labrador Drive off Old Milburnie Road in the Mallard Crossing subdivision in Raleigh.
Authorities said a SUV ran off the road and hit a tree. There were two people in the car at the time, and a 21-year-old Amanda Massengill, of Bailey, N.C., was killed.
The alleged driver of the vehicle, 29-year-old Lydia Marie Mills, was arrested at WakeMed.
Investigators said the vehicle was travelling well over the posted 25 mile per hour speed limit, and alcohol played a role in the crash.
Mills faces several charges, including felony death by motor vehicle, driving while license revoked, and driving while impaired.
Residents in the area told ABC11 the SUV left a party at a home in the neighborhood shortly before the crash where there was some kind of altercation.
Mills was charged with misdemeanor assault in that incident.
wake county, local/state
- AAA Carolinas expects more travel on Memorial Day
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Crews search for missing boater on Cape Fear River
- Private plane lands short of Charlotte runway
- Hit-and-run driver sought in fatal moped crash
- Defense wraps after Abaroa's mom's testimony
- Super PAC created for possible Tillis Senate bid
- More salmonella cases reported in Fayetteville
- Biographer regrets affair with former CIA director
- TSA finds man carrying gun on prosthetic leg
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Family continues to experience miracles