WakeMed restricts visitors to prevent flu spread
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- WakeMed hospital announced Friday it's joining other hospitals around the state restricting some visitation in an attempt to cut down on the spread of the flu virus to its vulnerable patients.
"As health care providers, we have a responsibility to do everything we can to protect our patients from the spread of illness," said WakeMed Chief Medical Officer West Lawson.
State health officials have said the flu outbreak in North Carolina in a decade. In early December, a reported 12 people had died from flu-related complications.
WakeMed's new restrictions are:
- No visitors under the age of 18 years of age are permitted without prior approval from a WakeMed health care provider
- Each patient is limited to 2 adult visitors at a time
- WakeMed staff asks all visitors not to visit patients if they are ill. Symptoms of concern include: fever, cough, sneezing, runny nose, sore throat, vomiting or diarrhea within the past 24 hours.
- WakeMed staff will direct any ill family members or visitors to please return home
- WakeMed encourages family members and friends that are unable to visit patients due to age or illness to use alternative means of communication including phone, email or social media (Facebook, Skype, etc.).
The new restrictions take effect December 31.
Cape Fear Valley Medical Center and Duke University Health System have issued similar restrictions in recent weeks.
flu shots, wake county, local/state
- Temps to plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday
- Durham girl's wish comes true
- Teen arrested in theft of part from Paul Walker crash
- Woman unknowingly tweets husband's fatal car crash
- No. 20 Duke relishes worst-to-first ride
- Xerox calls police before layoffs
- Icy storm slams Southwest, shuts down North Texas
- Son: Graham's health declining
- CDC: Water at Marine base linked to birth defects 56 min ago
- Fayetteville man charged with woman's murder
- Fort Bragg soldiers say goodbye, head to Afghanistan
- Maya Angelou remembers Nelson Mandela 1 min ago
- Man charged with shooting Durham teens
- Woman killed in Holly Springs crash
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help