UNC students show support for slain classmate
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WTVD) -- Hundreds gathered at "The Pit" on the UNC-Chapel Hill campus Monday evening to honor 19-year-old Faith Hedgepeth who was found dead in her apartment Friday morning.
The vigil lasted about an hour. Hedgepeth's friends, family and classmates described her character, aspirations and what a painful loss this is.
"Our hearts are heavy because we can't make sense of any of it," said Consuela Richardson, Faith Hedgepeth's cousin.
Those at the vigil described Hedgepth as a young lady full of life and destined for success.
"Faith had a very light and kindred spirit which was welcoming to all," said Candice Locklear, of the Carolina Indian Circle.
"I would characterize her as quiet, somewhat shy and maybe a bit reserved, but once I got to know her, I found out there was a big personality that was full of life to go along with that beautiful smile."
Chapel Hill police said the UNC junior's friends found her body inside her off-campus apartment last Friday.
Faith, a member of the Haliwa-Saponi American Indian Tribe, majored in Biology and dreamed of becoming a pediatrician. Her dreams are now left to inspire others.
"I will hold you tight and I won't let go Faith," said Richardson. "I love you, baby."
Grief counselors were available at the vigil.
The Chapel Hill Police has established a tip-line for anyone with information related to this investigation. Anyone with information is urged to call (919) 614-6363. Callers who wish to remain anonymous will be allowed to do so. Individuals may also contact Crime Stoppers at (919) 942-7515. Calls to Crime Stoppers are confidential and anonymous, and the caller may be eligible for a cash reward up to $2,000 for information that leads to arrest.
homicide, unc, local/state, fred shropshire
- Temps plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday
- Photos: Meet the New Bachelor Contestants
- Photos: Raleigh Winterfest Celebration 2013-2014
- Raleigh police investigate homicide
- Rabies alert in Wake County
- Durham hosts Special Olympic bowlers
- Up to 50 vehicles collide in deadly Pennsylvania Turnpike crash
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- South Africans pray for Mandela
- Nasty weather hits several NFL games
- In 2nd week, 'Frozen' tops box office with $31.6M
- Brees sharp, Saints beat Panthers 31-13
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help