Guilty plea in Durham 'cult' killings
DURHAM (WTVD) -- The leader of a religious group accused of killing a woman and a 4-year-old boy entered guilty pleas to two counts of murder Monday.
Peter Moses Jr., 28, was indicted last year on first-degree murder charges in the case. His guilty pleas mean he will avoid the death penalty.
Prosecutors say Moses killed 4-year-old Jadon Higganbothan and 28-year-old Antoinetta McKoy.
Their bodies were found buried in plastic bags by a plumber working in the backyard of a home in the 2600 block of Ashe Street last summer.
McKoy and Higganbothan lived with a polygamist religious group led by Moses known as the "Black Hebrew Israelites."
At a court hearing last year, Durham District Attorney Tracey Cline said Moses believed the boy was homosexual and that was unacceptable to his religious beliefs. She said Moses shot Higganbothan in the garage of a home on Pear Tree Lane in front of his mother.
Cline said investigators believe McKoy was killed because she tried to escape from the group and it feared she would tell police about the murder.
According to search warrants obtained by ABC11 earlier this year, investigators found two of Moses' fingerprints on tape used to secure the plastic around the bodies.
Six others are charged in the case along with Moses Jr., including Higganbothan's mother 25-year-old Vania Sisk, 40-year-old Lavada Quinzetta Harris, and 40-year-old Larhonda Renee Smith. They did not enter pleas Monday.
durham county, homicide, peter moses, durham police, local/state
- Proposed penalties in NC Fair accident announced
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Photos: 'That happened how?' Bizarre mix-ups
- Man seeks to hide 'murder' tattoo before trial
- Teacher pay raise in Wake County could require tax increase 22 min ago
- Raleigh police seek 'Bearded Bandit'
- Protestors demand state leaders expand Medicaid 32 min ago
- Video: I-Team: Who pays coal ash cleanup cost? 24 min ago
- NCCU bracing for job cuts
- Interim president of St. Augustine's University named
- Man injured in Raleigh shooting
- Suspect shoots at deputy in Four Oaks
- Object washes ashore amid Malaysia plane search
- 9th suspect in Wake Forest kidnapping surrenders
- I-Team: Who pays coal ash cleanup cost?
24 min ago
- Money Saver: NC Foreclosure Prevention Fund
41 min ago