Still no mediation on Durham County health building cost
DURHAM (WTVD) -- The final phase of the new Durham County Department of Public Health building on Main Street in Durham is close to opening, but deciding who's financially responsible for cost overruns is far from complete.
It was spring 2009 when Durham County leaders broke ground on what's to be a one-stop-shop location for everything from dental cleanings to mental health care. It'll be opening more than a year behind schedule and more than a million dollars over budget.
The builder - Winston-Salem based contractor New Atlantic - and county officials have promised to go into mediation to decide who should foot the extra $1.6 million in unexpected costs because of delays on what was originally projected to be a $54 million project.
Six months after ABC11 aired a story on the extra costs, both sides have yet to go into mediation.
"The County and Contractor mutually agreed to schedule the mediation at the end of the project in an effort to more fully address the consequences of delay. Discussions between the County and Contractor are ongoing," said the county in a statement.
Meanwhile, the first phase of the building is open for business.
We contacted New Atlantic for comment, but our calls and messages were not returned.
County leaders tell us the doors will open in October with a grand opening scheduled for November. The original completion date was spring of last year.
durham county, abc11 investigates, tamara gibbs
- Temps to plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday
- Durham girl's wish comes true
- Teen arrested in theft of part from Paul Walker crash
- Woman unknowingly tweets husband's fatal car crash
- Woman struck, killed by car in Harnett County
- Son: Graham's health declining
- Wake Forest bank robbery suspect caught
- Motorcyclist killed in Durham County crash
- No. 20 Duke relishes worst-to-first ride
- Xerox calls police before layoffs
- High School Football Scores - Playoffs Week 4
- Hurricanes surge past Sharks
- Raleigh Winterfest 2013-2014
- Icy storm slams Southwest, shuts down North Texas
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help