Time Warner Cable at center of deportation case
BURLINGTON, N.C. (WTVD) -- A woman in Alamance County who was trying to get cable service ended up in handcuffs instead. Now, she could be deported.
It happened when Lorena Yanez-Mata walked into the Time Warner Cable office in Burlington to sign up for cable service.
The documents she turned in to Time Warner showed that she was undocumented.
Time Warner Cable said an off-duty officer, who was working security for the company, got the documents and gave them to police.
Time Warner put out this statement: "It is not our policy to share this kind of information with law enforcement and this action was not following any Time Warner Cable procedure or direction. TWC did not refer Ms. Yanez-Mata to either to the county prosecutor or Homeland Security and did not request prosecution."
The statement did little to comfort Yanez-Mata's friends and advocates.
"I understand if that's the company policy but obviously their representatives on the ground are not listening to what the company is saying because it's still their fault that Lorena is currently in deportation hearings," said Moises Serano , with NC Dream.
Yanez-Mata has a deportation hearing Thursday where a judge will decide if she will be sent home. She has an 8-year-old daughter.
alamance county, abc11 investigates, jon camp
- Drug bust at home owned by UNC's Roy Williams
- Brisk sales raise Mega Millions jackpot to $425M
- Burning of ex-racer Mayfield's NC home canceled 8 min ago
- Dog helps Alaska woman survive 3 nights in cold
- Cary mom faces sex charges 36 min ago
- One man killed, another injured in shooting 57 min ago
- Changes coming to Fort Bragg entry system 23 min ago
- Social media fuels school threat concerns
- Deputies raid Durham sweepstakes cafe
- Robbery suspect uses box as disguise
- Durham Freeway reopened following closure
- Thousands of Ft. Bragg soliders to deploy to Afghanistan
- Florida orphan spending Christmas with prospective family 34 min ago
- Raleigh house damaged in fire
- ABC11 viewer saves Christmas for 1,000s of...
5 min ago
- Money Saver: Friday freebies
21 min ago
- Changes coming to Fort Bragg entry system
23 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help