Time Warner Cable at center of deportation case
BURLINGTON, N.C. (WTVD) -- A woman in Alamance County who was trying to get cable service ended up in handcuffs instead. Now, she could be deported.
It happened when Lorena Yanez-Mata walked into the Time Warner Cable office in Burlington to sign up for cable service.
The documents she turned in to Time Warner showed that she was undocumented.
Time Warner Cable said an off-duty officer, who was working security for the company, got the documents and gave them to police.
Time Warner put out this statement: "It is not our policy to share this kind of information with law enforcement and this action was not following any Time Warner Cable procedure or direction. TWC did not refer Ms. Yanez-Mata to either to the county prosecutor or Homeland Security and did not request prosecution."
The statement did little to comfort Yanez-Mata's friends and advocates.
"I understand if that's the company policy but obviously their representatives on the ground are not listening to what the company is saying because it's still their fault that Lorena is currently in deportation hearings," said Moises Serano , with NC Dream.
Yanez-Mata has a deportation hearing Thursday where a judge will decide if she will be sent home. She has an 8-year-old daughter.
alamance county, abc11 investigates, jon camp
- Governor declares emergency in North Carolina 7 min ago
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Man to go to trial over Girl Scout cookie purchase
- US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony
- Woman injured after jumping from car 47 min ago
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Rangers rally past Hurricanes 4-2 35 min ago
- Amber Alert issued for missing 11-year-old girl
- Woman's mummified body found at Detroit-area home
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help