Police investigate burglary call delay
DURHAM (WTVD) -- A Durham woman said she called 911 after walking in on a burglary in progress, but help didn't arrive until nearly an hour later.
Sandy Tuck called 911 and instead of getting help she says she got a rude awakening.
Tuck said helped arrived too little, too late. The thieves made off with her belongings and now she's lost faith in people you call for help.
Tuck said what she got was a delayed response and a not so helpful operator who seemed annoyed when she called for a second time after 20 minutes had passed.
Tuck says the operator made a rude comment, leaving her waiting for an officer for nearly an hour.
"When a woman calls in and she says she's alone, I don't think that she has to be sitting there for 50 minutes scared and alone , waiting for someone to respond when there's a substation not five minutes from her house," said Tuck.
According to the incident report, Tuck's call came in just before 3 a.m.
"The officer showed me he'd only had the call for seven minutes before he was there," said Tuck.
While it was a burglary in progress, Tuck said the officer who helped her explained the call wasn't given priority.
"He told me that they had been dispatched as a different kind of call," said Tuck. "That they prioritize when they'll come."
Her home was trashed and her sense of security shaken. Tuck said a call for help doesn't seem like help at all.
"She knew that I was upset and everything and that I was scared," said Tuck. "I just want them to think about if it was their mother or if they were in my place, would they have been so rude or uncaring?"
ABC11 was told the incident is now under review along with the officer's response time. The 911 call center has promised to explain what happened on Thursday, saying they're investigating.
durham county, abc11 investigates, tamara gibbs
- Barber, 11 others guilty in Moral Monday protests
- 'Tipsforjesus' leaving thousands in tips
- Does bathing in vitamin C water improve health?
- Family says Nelson Mandela on 'deathbed'
- 2 dead, 1 wounded in shooting near NC college
- Fayetteville bank robber sought
- Tata blames environmentalists for bridge woes
- NC has fewer teachers and more students
- UNC upsets No. 1 Michigan State
- NC State beats Northwestern 69-48
- Float banned from Clayton Christmas parade
- Autopsy: Actor died from impact, fire in crash
- Student arrested with loaded gun at Durham high school
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help