Tolls to increase on parts of Triangle Expressway
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Get ready to pay higher tolls if you drive on parts of the Triangle Expressway.
The higher prices will take effect on Aug. 2 when the new section of the expressway opens. That's also when a section of the expressway that's currently free (from Interstate 40 to Highway 55) will begin tolling.
That will cost drivers who have a transponder 52 cents each way. It will cost 80 cents each way for those drivers who get billed by mail.
Turnpike Authority officials explained the increase to ABC11.
"Tolls are going up because we're expanding the toll road by six-and-a-half to 7 miles," said Barry Mickle with the NC Turnpike Authority. "It benefits the public by a reliable trip."
Transponders cost $20 and attach to your car.
transportation, 540 triangle expressway, i540, abc11 investigates
- Photos: Oklahoma tornado aftermath 25 min ago
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- NC House panel looking at public school grant bill
- Frightening moments for family with Okla. ties
- Hazmat situation at Raleigh apt. complex
- Police search for shooting suspect
- Man shot in neck in Raleigh
- NC Senate budget plan heavy on Medicaid spending
- NRC meets public after nuclear plant shuttered
- Prosecution rests in Abaroa murder trial
- Woman accused of poisoning family
- Closing arguments to begin in McNeill trial