Ceiling piece falls during Concord Hall Datsik concert
February 8, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A partial ceiling collapse inside a crowded concert hall sent at least three people to hospitals.
It happened at the Concord Music Hall on Chicago's Northwest Side Friday. Chicago police say they arrived at 2000 North Milwaukee for crowd control after 1 a.m. Saturday and confirmed a piece of ceiling ripped off and fell while a Datsik, a DJ, was performing. The partial collapse happened about five or 10 minutes into that performance.
At first, many fans did not know what was happening, but some captured the collapse on their smartphones and posted photos and videos on social media.
"At first, I didn't know what was going on. There was dust in the air, but I thought it was part of the show. I thought it was fog, but a minute or so after that, security had come to the area and aided the people who might have been injured and cleared it out," said witness Robert Foulks.
Datsik confirmed the incident. After the incident, the DJ tweeted a message saying in part: "Chicago I am sincerely sorry the roof collapsed tonight" and "I'm happy no one was seriously injured."
Many in the crowd were not sure what was happening.
"The sound system inside the venue was so intense and had so much bass that it literally shook the ceiling down and collapsed it onto the crowd," said concert-goer Ryan Chun.
All of the victims suffered minor injuries. About 1,000 people were attending the concert. There was no word Saturday on whether Concord Music Hall would give back money to all of the attendees.
The venue's management did release the following statement:
"Concord Music Hall has voluntarily agreed to close until further notice due to a section of plaster falling from its ceiling during a show last night. During this time, Concord will fully cooperate with all City of Chicago officials to ensure that there are no ongoing concerns for the safety of its patrons and its employees."
chicago news, diane pathieu
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands 24 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to... 33 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- 7 in :77