Sloppy rain/snow mix makes for treacherous commute
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Dozens of accidents were reported across the Tri-State Area Wednesday as a messy mix of rain and snow fell throughout the morning from central New Jersey all the way up through Connecticut and New York City's northern suburbs.
The conditions varied depending on location, and some places were switching from snow to freezing rain to rain and back to snow.
Plows were working to keep the roads clear, but conditions remained slippery.
Multiple accidents were reported on the Garden State Parkway and New Jersey Turnpike, as well as along I-280, Route 78 and other highways.
A tractor-trailer incident near the George Washington Bridge had shut down the inbound upper level of the transverse for much of the early morning, but that was cleared just before 6 a.m.
Officials urged motorists to use extreme caution while driving, and to avoid the roads if possible.
Accumulations were light in New York City, but areas to the north and west were seeing up to 3 inches around daybreak.
If there were smiles on the faces of kids in northern Westchester, well that's what you get on a snow day.
Wednesday's storm packed enough of a punch to force several school districts to close and catch some parents by surprise.
A real estate office in Katonah had a couple of junior associates on hand who enjoyed some candy and some unexpected quality time with mom.
In Bedford, private plow operators cleared driveways, while out on 684, where there were several spinouts Wednesday morning, the snow removal went on through early afternoon.
The removal made it easier for those who have to drive in these conditions, even if they didn't exactly dress for it.
There were also kids having fun sledding at a golf course.
Stay with 7online and watch Eyewitness News for the latest on the conditions. CLICK HERE for the latest AccuTrack radar maps.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new york city, westchester county, rockland county, storm, accuweather
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ