ABC7 Traffic Center
Man killed in LIE crash was off-duty NYPD officer
MELVILLE (WABC) -- Westbound lanes on the Long Island Expressway were closed in Melville after a deadly crash early Monday.
Joseph Pritchard, an off-duty NYPD officer from West Babylon was killed in the crash. A 2008 Dodge pickup truck, driven by Pritchard, was stopped, for an unknown reason, in the westbound right lane of the LIE at 2:23 a.m. when it was struck from behind by a 2001 International box truck.
The LIE was closed from exit 51 to exit 53 as police investigate the crash.
The driver of the truck suffered unknown injuries.
long island, long island expressway, accident, abc7 traffic center
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix 55 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ 5 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide 38 min ago
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- Giants playoff hopes eliminated after Chargers loss 15 min ago
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area 9 min ago
- Motorists line up at gas stations, prepare...
38 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
55 min ago
- NYC Agencies preparing for first snowfall...
50 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos