ABC7 Traffic Center
Man killed in LIE crash was off-duty NYPD officer
MELVILLE (WABC) -- Westbound lanes on the Long Island Expressway were closed in Melville after a deadly crash early Monday.
Joseph Pritchard, an off-duty NYPD officer from West Babylon was killed in the crash. A 2008 Dodge pickup truck, driven by Pritchard, was stopped, for an unknown reason, in the westbound right lane of the LIE at 2:23 a.m. when it was struck from behind by a 2001 International box truck.
The LIE was closed from exit 51 to exit 53 as police investigate the crash.
The driver of the truck suffered unknown injuries.
long island, long island expressway, accident, abc7 traffic center
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 5 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 6 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- Photos: A look back at the 1964 World's Fair
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
20 min ago
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ...
5 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos