ABC7 Traffic Center
Man killed in LIE crash was off-duty NYPD officer
MELVILLE (WABC) -- Westbound lanes on the Long Island Expressway were closed in Melville after a deadly crash early Monday.
Joseph Pritchard, an off-duty NYPD officer from West Babylon was killed in the crash. A 2008 Dodge pickup truck, driven by Pritchard, was stopped, for an unknown reason, in the westbound right lane of the LIE at 2:23 a.m. when it was struck from behind by a 2001 International box truck.
The LIE was closed from exit 51 to exit 53 as police investigate the crash.
The driver of the truck suffered unknown injuries.
long island, long island expressway, accident, abc7 traffic center
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident