ABC7 Traffic Center
Man killed in LIE crash was off-duty NYPD officer
MELVILLE (WABC) -- Westbound lanes on the Long Island Expressway were closed in Melville after a deadly crash early Monday.
Joseph Pritchard, an off-duty NYPD officer from West Babylon was killed in the crash. A 2008 Dodge pickup truck, driven by Pritchard, was stopped, for an unknown reason, in the westbound right lane of the LIE at 2:23 a.m. when it was struck from behind by a 2001 International box truck.
The LIE was closed from exit 51 to exit 53 as police investigate the crash.
The driver of the truck suffered unknown injuries.
long island, long island expressway, accident, abc7 traffic center
- Bergen County officer hurt in Lodi crash 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 15 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn 17 min ago
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
15 min ago