ABC7 Traffic Center
NJ Transit train hits tractor-trailer carrying paint
LITTLE FALLS (WABC) -- A New Jersey Transit train struck a tractor-trailer at a crossing in Little Falls Wednesday morning.
Several injuries were reported at the crash, which occurred at a grade level intersection of Main Street and Fairfield Avenue just after 8:15 a.m.
The 8:11 a.m. Montclair-Boonton Line #1006 was reportedly the involved train.
Officials said 71 passengers and crew were on the train and at least 10 of them were hurt, with two suffering serious injuries. The victims were being evaluated, but none of their injuries are believed life threatening. All were taken either to St. Josephs Medical Center in Paterson or St. Mary Hospital's in Passaic.
One of those seriously injured was a female school crossing guard who was struck by flying debris while working. She was standing on the east side of the railroad tracks when she was struck.
One firefighter sustained a shoulder injury while extricating people from the train.
The tractor-trailer was apparently carrying five-gallon containers of yellow paint, which spilled all over the roadway.
The driver was apparently traveling on Main Street when he unsuccessfully attempted to make a very tight turn. The tractor-trailer backed up and was caught between the train gates, which had already come down onto the truck.
The tractor trailer driver was not injured, and summonses are expected to be issued.
NJ Transit is assessing the possible implications to the evening commute.
All customers aboard the train have been bused to the Little Falls and Mountain View stations.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
mass transit, new jersey transit, accident, abc7 traffic center
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash 43 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Photos: Weather whiplash
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather...
43 min ago