Politics & Elections
Up Close for Sunday, June 23, 2013
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A federal judge is mulling over the constitutionality of the NYPD's controversial stop and frisk practice.
The federal judge finished hearing the case against stop and frisk last month. No word on when she'll rule.
At issue is whether the nation's largest police force violates the Fourth Amendment which forbids unreasonable searches and seizures.
The case was brought by civil rights advocates who say the NYPD, through stop and frisk, unfairly targets minority men.
No matter what the ruling, the case could head to the U.S. Supreme Court.
The high court has heard the issue before in a landmark case known as Terry vs. Ohio.
In 1968, a lawyer named Louis Stokes argued on behalf of an African American man who was stopped and frisked by a Cleveland police officer.
The justices ruled in favor of police, but the outcome of that case could work against the NYPD.
Louis Stokes, who soon after the Terry case was elected to congress to represent Cleveland, is the founder of the Congressional Black Caucus. He joins us to talk about the case in this week's edition of Up Close.
Also this morning, the New York City teachers union is doing something it hasn't done in the past two elections: endorsing a candidate for mayor.
Plus, making sense of the new FEMA flood maps. Some homes severely damaged by sandy are not considered high risk for future storms.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind 21 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 10 min ago
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 32 min ago
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- FBI investigates hoax that sent SWAT teams to house 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind
21 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos