Politics & Elections
Up Close for Sunday, June 23, 2013
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A federal judge is mulling over the constitutionality of the NYPD's controversial stop and frisk practice.
The federal judge finished hearing the case against stop and frisk last month. No word on when she'll rule.
At issue is whether the nation's largest police force violates the Fourth Amendment which forbids unreasonable searches and seizures.
The case was brought by civil rights advocates who say the NYPD, through stop and frisk, unfairly targets minority men.
No matter what the ruling, the case could head to the U.S. Supreme Court.
The high court has heard the issue before in a landmark case known as Terry vs. Ohio.
In 1968, a lawyer named Louis Stokes argued on behalf of an African American man who was stopped and frisked by a Cleveland police officer.
The justices ruled in favor of police, but the outcome of that case could work against the NYPD.
Louis Stokes, who soon after the Terry case was elected to congress to represent Cleveland, is the founder of the Congressional Black Caucus. He joins us to talk about the case in this week's edition of Up Close.
Also this morning, the New York City teachers union is doing something it hasn't done in the past two elections: endorsing a candidate for mayor.
Plus, making sense of the new FEMA flood maps. Some homes severely damaged by sandy are not considered high risk for future storms.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild, but rain expected
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Metro-North service back 100-percent on Hudson Line
- abcnews: Truck Carrying Radioactive Material Stolen...
- Police arrest 2 in Long Island menorah vandalism
- Man dies paragliding after hitting ice
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013