Politics & Elections
Up Close for Sunday, June 23, 2013
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A federal judge is mulling over the constitutionality of the NYPD's controversial stop and frisk practice.
The federal judge finished hearing the case against stop and frisk last month. No word on when she'll rule.
At issue is whether the nation's largest police force violates the Fourth Amendment which forbids unreasonable searches and seizures.
The case was brought by civil rights advocates who say the NYPD, through stop and frisk, unfairly targets minority men.
No matter what the ruling, the case could head to the U.S. Supreme Court.
The high court has heard the issue before in a landmark case known as Terry vs. Ohio.
In 1968, a lawyer named Louis Stokes argued on behalf of an African American man who was stopped and frisked by a Cleveland police officer.
The justices ruled in favor of police, but the outcome of that case could work against the NYPD.
Louis Stokes, who soon after the Terry case was elected to congress to represent Cleveland, is the founder of the Congressional Black Caucus. He joins us to talk about the case in this week's edition of Up Close.
Also this morning, the New York City teachers union is doing something it hasn't done in the past two elections: endorsing a candidate for mayor.
Plus, making sense of the new FEMA flood maps. Some homes severely damaged by sandy are not considered high risk for future storms.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 51 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store 56 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 54 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
54 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
51 min ago