Politics & Elections
Up Close: Katie Beers
Sunday, May 12, 2013
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It's hard to fathom how three women in Cleveland were found nearly a decade after they were kidnapped.Amanda Berry, Gina deJesus and Michelle Knight escaped with a 6-year old girl who is believed to be Berry's daughter, born in that rundown home in West Cleveland that imprisoned them. We find such horrors unthinkable, but it has happened to others. 20 years ago, a missing girl filled the headlines here in New York. Her name was Katie Beers. On December 28th, 1992, Katie, who lived with her mother in Mastic Beach, Long Island, vanished. It was two days before her 10th birthday. She was found 17 days later, chained inside a concrete bunker under a home in Bay Shore. The man who kidnapped her, John Esposito, is currently serving a life sentence. Beers recently wrote a memoir recounting her life, and her time in captivity. She joins us to discuss her own experience, and her perspective on the women in Cleveland. Also, two women with very different lives, but sharing a similar story. Two years ago on this program, Eyewitness News reporter Stacey Sager shared her own battle with breast cancer. One of the people watching that morning was Kara Dioguardi, a songwriter and former judge on American Idol. Stacey's story hit a chord because Dioguardi's mother died of ovarian cancer at age 50 and her grandmother died of breast cancer. She decided to get the genetic test and it came out positive for the Braca 2 mutation, putting her at high risk for ovarian cancer. She had a full hysterectomy, and with the help of a surrogate, now has a beautiful baby boy. Kara and Stacey recently met for the first time. The star credits Stacey with saving her life, and it all happened completely by chance.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
(Copyright ©2014 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92 2 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014