Politics & Elections
Up Close: Standardized Tests
Sunday, May 05, 2013
NEW YORK (WABC) -- New York City students have already taken the new state math and English tests, with tough new standards.
The updated tests are designed to meet the new national learning standards called Common Core. They are part of what will be used to determined whether a student is held back, or a teacher receives tenure. But the head of the nation's teachers union says the tests should not count. Randi Weingarten, president of the American Federation of Teachers, says the tests were administered before students and teachers had time to learn the new material. She joins us to discuss Common Core, and how it will change our schools. Also, we continue our ongoing discussion with the New York City mayoral candidates. There's been a lot of talk lately about Anthony Weiner possibly jumping into the race for mayor. But this week's guest has been on the campaign trail for months, working to get his name out. He's Democrat Sal Albanese. Finally, Eyewitness News and 7online have launched a new project: the Tri-State's Most Wanted. We are now providing a slideshow of pictures on our website, 7online, featuring men and women wanted by local law enforcement. Investigative Reporter Sarah Wallace takes a closer look at the NYPD's most wanted fugitive, Andre Neverson, and one detective who is determined to find him.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
(Copyright ©2014 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 30 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield 43 min ago
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- Suspect questioned after body found in container
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11 16 min ago
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- Pope Francis celebrates Easter with prayers for peace
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos