Politics & Elections
Up Close: Standardized Tests
Sunday, May 05, 2013
NEW YORK (WABC) -- New York City students have already taken the new state math and English tests, with tough new standards.
The updated tests are designed to meet the new national learning standards called Common Core. They are part of what will be used to determined whether a student is held back, or a teacher receives tenure. But the head of the nation's teachers union says the tests should not count. Randi Weingarten, president of the American Federation of Teachers, says the tests were administered before students and teachers had time to learn the new material. She joins us to discuss Common Core, and how it will change our schools. Also, we continue our ongoing discussion with the New York City mayoral candidates. There's been a lot of talk lately about Anthony Weiner possibly jumping into the race for mayor. But this week's guest has been on the campaign trail for months, working to get his name out. He's Democrat Sal Albanese. Finally, Eyewitness News and 7online have launched a new project: the Tri-State's Most Wanted. We are now providing a slideshow of pictures on our website, 7online, featuring men and women wanted by local law enforcement. Investigative Reporter Sarah Wallace takes a closer look at the NYPD's most wanted fugitive, Andre Neverson, and one detective who is determined to find him.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
(Copyright ©2014 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler 40 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 45 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens 42 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect 14 min ago
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack 6 min ago
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday 1 min ago
- Photos: A look back at the 1964 World's Fair
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
40 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos